Chapter 15: Truth

After The Report I decided to skip out on dinner, complaining I'd felt sick but it was truly because A. Gabriel wouldn't be there and B. He was taking out the only friend I had to sit with. I fled to my room and let Alice help me out of my dress and corset. She ran me a bath while I stood naked, waiting for the aroma of bath salts and bubble bath to settle.

"You did so well tonight, miss. You looked so comfortable with the Prince up there," Alice complimented. It was odd how easy it was for her to pretend I wasn't naked.

"I'm very glad it looked that way. I was a nervous wreck," I admitted as she helped me in the tub.

"It didn't show at all," she said. "Anything more, Miss?"

"There's a black book underneath my mattress," I told her. "Can you bring it to me?"

She obliged, no questions asked. "That's all, thank you Alice."

I was very careful not to let the book touch my water. Opening to where I'd left off the night before. The story of the nymph Echo.

Echo's life was tragic, just like most of those in Greek mythology but if I'm being honest she really brought it on herself. Zeus, who was married to Hera had many, many affairs. Giving him a plethora of illegitimate children. Echo's job was to chat with Hera while Zeus finished up with his mistress at the time. When Hera found out the plot, she cursed Echo to only be able to repeat the last words that had been spoken just before.

This kind of hurt her chances at love but what hurt them even more was who she fell in love with. A man named Narcissuss who was incredibly vain. A deity named Nemesis attracted Narcissuss to a pool of water where he fell in love with the reflection. He tried to join the reflection not realizing it was his own image and drowned. Echo, heartbroken, faded away until she became only a voice, repeating the last word anyone said. An echo.

I idly wondered what it was about Greek mythology Gabriel loved so much. The stories were so depressing they almost made my life seem like a circus. He was right about one thing, it was definitely interesting. I wanted to get to the point that I could teach Gabriel a thing or two about the stars.

I tossed the book far enough aside that no water would splash on the cover as I washed my hair. Stepping out of the tub, I put my hair up in a towel and slid my nightgown over it. I picked the book back up again and walked over to my bed ready to read the next story. I had just began reading of the goddess of dawn when a rapid knock on my door sounded. I jumped, not expecting to be disturbed so late. I slid the book under my mattress again and pulled the towel off of my head, just case it was Gabriel.

It wasn't though. It was Heidi. She burst in my room, hopping around like a bunny. Talking way to fast and breathless for me to understand.

"Heidi, Heidi," I said putting my hands on her shoulders, "What's going on?"

Her face tore into a gleaming smile and said, "I just kissed the Price of Illeá."

My heart dropped and I hated every ounce of my being for allowing myself to fall for someone I obviously didn't even know. I tried to act excited, I tried to play it off. I even tried to ask her details. I couldn't do it.

"I'd honestly love to here all about it Heidi, but I left dinner early tonight throwing my guts up. I don't want you to catch it," I lied smoothly. It was believable enough to get her out of my room without another word.

As soon as she left, I threw myself on the bed. Too numb to be upset.

"I wish to see your eyes happy," he had said. Why would he lie? Why would he even expect us to try to fall for him when we're all competing for attention?