Chapter 11: Farrah

The sun shined through the balcony doors early in the morning. My second day at the palace hadn't gone as planned. I did well at getting close enough with the Prince that I was probably guaranteed a couple paychecks before I was sent home, as long as Gabriel didn't find out that feelings towards him and the competition was a sham. The real question is when should I tell him it's a sham? How long should I use him before finally returning to the one I do love?

This led to me wondering how Madden would react once I was home. The selection process was taught in school because it really is more then a competition. It's our history and our future. It's what determines how our country will be ruled. If the prince of Illeá falls in love with someone, that person influences how he rules whether the people see it or not. You just have to hope and pray that the new queen came with good intentions.

The process included many steps. It's not just getting the Prince to fall in love with you. It's classes upon classes. Learning etiquette, learning other countries history and what it is about them that we want to be allies. It's throwing parties to find relations with other countries and befriending people you don't want to talk too. It's learning how to budget our army and standing by your husband in support of all things. Then on top of all of that dress pretty, flirt with the Prince and try to build a relationship that means more to him then the other 34 girls your forced to befriend.

I'm not sure how exactly we are expected to fall in love with someone who was currently dating 34 other girls but fortunately that wouldn't be a problem for me. I had my own man back home who didn't have eyes for 34 other girls. Or so I think.

Yeah, just the blonde he decided to flirt with right in front of you, a voice in the back of my head taunted me. Well she's not wrong but she did cause me anxiety. What was he doing now? I needed to know..

I opened my wardrobe choosing an ankle length crocheted ivory dress, suitable for the beautiful summer day. A quiet knock on my door sounded and I gave a soft "come in" and Alice bustled into my room alone.

"Oh," she began, "You're already dressed."

"I apologize. Am I supposed to wait? I'm very new to this," I told her red faced.

"No Lady Ember, I figured most girls here would take full advantage of us so I like to check just in case," she assured me, standing in her place by the door, "Do you need anything, Miss?"

"Actually, I do," I nodded. "Can you fix my hair like you had yesterday? It was very pretty."

"Of course," she smiled and I knew she was flattered.

I sat at the vanity and stared at her through the mirror. Twisting and turning my curls into a fancy braid. Her hands taking their time to make my hair perfect. But for what? What does she get out of helping me?

"So, Alice," I began and she looked at my eyes through the mirror. "What's your job when there are no 35 girls here?"

She hesitated slightly and I wondered if she were embarrassed. "Well, I actually work out in the horse stables."

"Really? I've never seen a horse before."

She let out a loud laugh, "That's kind of crazy to me since they're my life."

Her eyes focused back on my hair, wrapping a small elastic to end the braid. She put her hands on my shoulders and I could tell the mood had shifted since the horse stables had been brought up. Suddenly, I knew why.

"You want to work in the palace," I stated.

She nodded.

"And if I win, you get to."