Chapter 46: Full

I had to stay in bed under all circumstances for awhile. It took a week for them to finally take the IV's out of my arms and by then I needed them again because I was beginning what Nurse Joanne called "the beginning stages of labor" although I never felt a thing. I had regular check ups with her so she could listen to the babies heartbeat and check to see if I was dilated for the babies arrival.

Gabriel always wanted to be present when the baby's heartbeat played but I noticed as often as Officer Bowen hovered, he always left when Gabriel arrived. I suppose he trusted I was in good hands or maybe it was awkward to be around a married couple.

It had been one week and two days since I'd arrived home and I was beginning to feel bed ridden.

Gabriel and I laid in bed as the room grew dark with the exception of the lamp in the corner of the room.

"I feel fine, I don't understand why I can't walk," I said for the thousandth time laying my head on my pillow. A small noise machine played the ocean sounds on our dresser. One of Gabriel's many attempts to stop my nightmares that I awake to at least five times a night. I cry every time and he cries along with me, hushing me back to sleep. Last night we had tried the sound machine and I only woke up three times which was good news to Gabriel.

"Sweetheart, you're nine months pregnant, about to give birth, with many fractured bones. Just please don't fight getting rest," he said laying his head alongside my stomach.

"I feel like I could help your father-"

"Please don't, Ember. Not now," he pleaded. We were having a small ongoing argument about whether I was going to help his father figure out what to do about the south and Olivianna but Gabriel has completely threw out the possibility. Every time his father reaches out to him to speak to me it turns into of an outbreak of yelling from Gabriel.

"Why Gabe? Why can't I help?"

"Because," he kissed my stomach. "Just not now, okay?"

I sighed then rolled to my side to look down at him. "Okay, not now then. But later."

The ocean sounds played softly in the background as Gabriel wrapped both arms around my waist. My eyes fluttered closed only for me to force them open.

"I miss my island," I sighed sleepily.

"We'll go back," he whispered. "Just be patient."

"I don't want to just go back," I whispered, closing my eyes although I tried to fight it. "I want to stay there with you."

"I know you do, love. I wish I could give you that," I heard him say faintly.

"I know y'do," I slurred. I felt Gabriel slide up my body till his face was in front of mine. He planted a small kiss on my nose then said something about love but sleep had taken over my body.

It was dark, too dark. Men laughed around me as they pushed me against them. My feet staggering each time and gave out as I fell to the concrete floor. Lights flashed on and off as a camera was pointed at my face.

"Ask the prince why he's not saving you, girl. Ask him now!" A man behind the black contraption screamed. I stayed silent until multiple kicks surrounded me. Kicking my arms and legs. Always avoiding head contact and my belly.