Chapter 31 Father

The next day Grace's parents and little brother arrived. The day passed by the same as it had for Ivy and myself. The Royal family spent their time meeting Grace's family, having tea in the sitting room while Grace and Gabriel went on a date.

After greeting Grace's family, I tried to hide away as to not see my parents which was going well until lunch came around and I didn't leave fast enough.

"I hear they have a lake somewhere around here? Want to learn to fish?" My dad asked me while my mother sat back in his shadow.

"No, thank you," I said, suddenly interested in my dress.

"What about horseback riding? Do you know how?"

"Gabriel taught me," I said.

He put his hands in his jeans pockets and nodded. "Is there anything you'd like to do with us? I know we're in an odd place but we'd really like to spend time with you Ember."

I nodded. "Actually, I'd like to show you something dad. Mom has probably already seen it but I think you'd love it." I turned to my mother, "You can stay down here or help yourself to the woman's room, if you like."

I could see she wanted to protest, that she didn't want me to be alone with my father because she didn't trust me to keep a secret what she told me last night. I didn't care though, I turned on my heel as soon as it came out of my mouth and headed through the door and up the stairs.

My fathers loud footsteps sounded behind me each step of the way until finally we were on the top floor of the palace, standing in front of a door I hadn't seen since I was being dragged through it. I took a deep breath and swung open the door. Stomping up each step listening to the freaks of the old wood, I eerily opened the last door to our destination.

The air smelled of Autumn approaching and I was almost glad that summer was almost over. It felt like closure of the competition, which I would love nothing more then for it to end.

I stepped into full view of the roof and felt a light mist on my bare shoulders. I'd have to ask Dina to sew up some sweaters.

My fathers boots sounded against the wet pavement as he began walking to the railing.

"What a view," he said with no fascination in his voice which concerned me. It hurt me how much I was looking into every single move and word he said as though he were the enemy. Was he the enemy? Could I trust him to ask questions about the south?

Your mother my inner voice said softly. I decided to ignore that voice this time. My father would never let anyone hurt my mother.

He never loved her- she began again but I shut her off.

"Dad?" I asked suddenly making my way to him. The wind whipping my hair around as though to barricade me from him but I forced myself through. It's as if the universe wanted to hold me from the only person that could give me information about the south.

"Hm?" He answered, turning to face me.

"Did you know I was taken?" I asked him.

"Of course."

This stunned me for a second but I tried my hardest to not let it show. "Curious as to why mom didn't know."