Chapter 9: Finger sandwiches

After the last girl stood, the Prince thanked us quickly for our time, gave us one last brilliant smile and practically ran out of here. Probably sick of superficial conversations with girls he's being forced to fall in love with. He's not as bad as I thought he would be. I was for sure that he was a well built machine as everyone here was but there was nothing mechanic about our conversation. I mentally felt terrible because Madden wouldn't appreciate my conversation with Prince Gabriel but I think he would understand on Caroline's behalf. He would have no reason to worry, I was going to marry Madden and this was just a rough part in our forever. I love him.

"All right, ladies. You can mingle among each other but you must arrive at lunch on time at 2. Here are pamphlets on which silverware is which," she said as a maid handed them out, "We will be having a class on this soon along with a test so study hard. The Royal Family will be attending this lunch to get a look at you lovely ladies so remember, manners and proper etiquette. No talking while chewing, no speaking unless asked to. Common sense! Good day, ladies!" Laurie yelled over her shoulder while exiting the room. She honestly made me feel like I need a two hour nap.

"Ember!" Farrah yelled from across the room. I sincerely contemplated ignoring her and sneaking off to my room to take said nap but I decided on playing nice. I made my way to Farrah's little group of the red head, the olive skinned girl and Opal.

"You and him spoke the longest, what did you talk about?" The girl with the red, frizzy hair asked.

"Just normal conversation," I lied. It wasn't normal. I had felt like his eyes had sucked me in to him. Begging me to open up. Pleading with me to be his. Asking me to meet him on my balcony, to talk where no one could hear us.

Ember, I reminded myself, mind on Madden.

"So, you didn't talk about all the finger sandwiches you just ate?" Farrah joked and the other girls laughed. Ouch. No longer was Madden/Prince Gabriel's eyes branded into my mind. I tried very hard to smile with them, making it seem like they were laughing with me and not at me.

"Come on, you ate at least 15 Ember," Farrah giggled and the rest followed suit. "You should lay off, your dress is looking a little tight. I suggest a corset next time."

I wanted to cry. I wanted to so badly and I couldn't. You see, the truth is, I've never really had friends apart from Madden. I'd never stayed the night with girl friends or been invited on Friday nights out to the park where all of the younger workers hung out. I was afraid to. I was afraid to say or do something wrong and hearing others talk about me. This was my weakness. I wanted to be strong and stay and laugh at myself with the girls but the tears started to spring in the corners of my eyes.

"Excuse me, ladies," I said, dismissing myself and heard Heidi quickly confront Farrah. I'd have to thank her for that later. I tried to keep a steady pace as I headed back to my room so I wouldn't be as noticed but sobs broke from my chest as I entered the hallway. I ran up the steps, kicking my heels off on the way but as I reached the top, I ran straight into a hard, chiseled chest. The hard chest belonged to Prince Gabriel. Covered in an elegant suit that I hadn't even noticed before because I was too dumbstruck by his eyes.

"Ember?" He asked frantic, grabbing my shoulders to steady me, "What's wrong? What happened?"

I tried to wipe my tears and compose myself but the weakness had already been revealed, "Nothing to worry about. I'm okay," I told him, looking away from his eyes. He was bound to send me home now.

"No you're not, look at you," he said, pulling me over to the side of the hallway.

"No, no. Don't look at me," I pleaded. I was supposed to be strong. He's going to ask me to leave because I can't even take an insult. I've made one paycheck, that's not going to get Caroline home from the hospital.

"Why can't I?"

"Because," I began, as I covered my face in my hands and shook my head back and forth, "I'm supposed to be strong. A future queen isn't supposed to do this."

He took my hand from my face and wiped a tear from under my eye, "Only in front of the country, Ember. Not in front of me."

That's when I realized, he was really nice. He was off script right now and doing wonderfully. His eyes were concerned and I had to look away from them before I got lost again. He was supposed to be conceited. He was supposed to be easy to dislike. But he wasn't.

Ember you've know him for an hour, I reminded myself. But those eyes I've known for a lifetime.

"Go to your room and wash up. I'm not sure what happened in there, but when you show up at dinne, act as though it didn't effect you. It will drive them insane. All right?"

"Okay, Gabriel," I nodded and then gasped, bringing my hand up to my mouth realizing that I just broke one of Laurie's rules, "I meant Prince. Prince Gabriel. I'm sorry, I'm flustered. I promise I'm not usually like this," I rambled. But he didn't seem to mind, in fact he smiled shyly at me.

"You can call me Gabe, darling," he offered, "Go now, dinner is soon. I look forward to seeing you."

I watched as he walked down the steps but gratefully met eyes with Farrah as she was standing outside of the Lady's Room. I turned my back to her and decided to get ready early as Gabe had told me. Now, I thought, let the games begin.