Chapter 35: Curiosity

I had been home one week and wedding planning was already almost finished. Everything from the guest list to the wedding dress had been chosen. Not by me though. Laurie tried to force me to look at designer dresses and try 50 different flavored cakes but with each task she presented I would tell her I didn't care so ultimately she would end up choosing to get the ball rolling. Even now I sat in The Ladies Room as Laurie lectured me about public affection with Gabriel at the wedding and what not to do.

I rested my elbow on the arm rest, fluttering my eyelids closed as she droned on and on. Before my mind could wonder I heard the soft click of the door being closed and jerked my head towards the noise.

"Your Majesty," Laurie curtsied. I stayed sitting and turned my attention back towards Laurie never moving from my bored position.

"Wedding planning still? Mind if I listen in?" Olivianna asked, although she was already taking a seat next to me.

"Of course not, Your Majesty, although we are almost finished up. Ember, your father will be staying the night before the wedding so we wont have to send a car and his tux the day of but... we really need to know the day of," Laurie inclined her head forward begging me for the millionth time in one week to choose a date. I had never been so annoyed in my entire life. The first couple of times she asked I told her, once again, I did not care but she refused to make this decision.

"What is today?" I asked letting out a long sigh.

"August 2nd," Laurie answered without missing a beat.

"August 9th then," I answered.

Laurie's eyes grew slightly, "But-but Ember that's in one week."

"And?" I asked, squinting my eyes at her.

"There's so much to do-"

"The weddings planned Laurie. You've been bereding me all week without giving me even a moment to mourn for my sister and mother. You've got the cake, the dress, decorations, guest list now find a way to make it happen on the 9th or so help me when I'm Queen you'll be the first I fire," I threatened. Laurie didn't say another word. She turned on her heel with her clip board and left the room.

I watched as she left, meeting eyes with Olivianna only briefly then stared forward hoping she would leave too.

"Well done," she declared, "You'll have to control that temper in front of the public though."

I wanted to spit in her face. Tell her I know all of her secrets and lies, tell her how dare she try to give me advice when she's the worst Queen this country has ever had. I didn't though. I had seen my mothers fate when she admitted who Olivianna really was and I wasn't looking for a death sentence.

"I wanted to give you something-" she began.

"I don't want it," I told her with an annoyed voice.

"You will," she mumbled. "The day of the shooting Gabriel asked his father if your sister and mother could be buried on the grounds so that you could visit them often. His father agreed and we discussed that maybe... we could give your mother and sister a memorial."

My eyes filled to the brim with tears but I refused to look her way and show her weakness. I cleared my throat once, not trusting my voice.

"Well, thank you," I said softly. "I would really appreciate that."

"Well," she began, "I'm glad."

She hesitated one more moment as if she wanted to continue but instead stood from her chair and left the room. She turned back hesitantly and called over her shoulder.