8. selfish

billie's pov

i wake up to the sound of scratching at the door.
i open my eyes, slowly lifting my head and turning to the door before realizing i'm not even in my bedroom. it's still dark in here, and the lighting is all purple...

star.

i turn my head back to see her chest rising and falling, right where my head was.

she's so beautiful when she sleeps.
and when she's awake.

shit, what time is it?

i slowly roll over onto the other side of the bed, searching for my hoodie to grab my phone out of the pocket. the time reads 4:34 am. thank fuck it's still dark out.

"walk of shame! billie eilish spotted leaving LA apartment" is all i can hear in my head.

i slowly sit up and stretch before getting up and searching the floor for the rest of my clothes. i can't find my damn t-shirt i had on under my hoodie. all i found is my tank top. whatever.

as i'm getting dressed, i hear a meow at the door. "will you stop for a sec?" i whisper yell at what i assume to be star's cat. she's mentioned him before. a tiny black cat with yellow-green eyes named onyx, as she described.

as i step into her bathroom, i look up in the mirror, realizing i'm covered in her red lipstick. i almost laugh, reaching for my phone and taking a picture. i look for some sort of makeup remover and wipe off as much as i can. my lips are still a little stained.

i wet a washcloth with warm water and bring it over to star to get her cleaned up a bit. "b?" she mumbles, turning over as i finishing wiping off her thigh. "yes, love." i answer softly, returning to the bathroom to rinse and hang the washcloth to dry. i come back in and notice my t-shirt right on the end of the bed. figures.

i take it over to star, slowly pulling it over her head. "here, arms in. come on." she hums tiredly, hardly waking up at all. once it's on, i gently pull her up onto her pillow and pull the covers up over her. "goodnight, stargirl." i lean over to peck her lips and she smiles softly, drifting back to sleep.

i put my phone in my pocket before heading into the kitchen by the door. onyx walks by me and rubs against my leg. i sit on the floor to put my shoes on and pet his head. "nice to meet you, too. loud as hell for 4 am." i shake my head.

just as i stand up to grab my keys from the counter, i realize. i drove us here. i can't leave, star won't have a car.

"fuck," i whisper, picking up my phone and scrolling through my contacts. who would be up this late? or this early?

claudia.

surely, she picks up the phone.

"billie! everything okay?" she asks, seemingly out of breath.

"yes fine, are you though?" i laugh.

"yeah, sorry, just on a run."

"a run? it's not even 5 am. the sun isn't even up yet." i whisper.

"duty calls." she whispers back. "why are we whispering? and why are you calling me?"

i sigh. "remember new york girl? well i'm in her apartment and i need you to come get
me. maybe. please."

"what?" she laughs. "where is your car? does she have roommates? billie!"

"i know, i know. everything is fine. no questions allowed. remember that time you told me i could call you any time if i needed anything because you're up freakishly early? no questions asked?"