Chapter Two

"So this is senior night," I said, leaning back on my elbows on top of the fleece blanket the twins and I had laid out. I could feel how cold the soft sand was underneath. Even in late June, upstate New York could be pretty damn chilly, especially after the sun goes down. Summer had already started, but most of us were wearing sweatshirts and jeans and a bunch of people were gathered around a mid-sized fire we had started for marshmallow roasting. 

"This is Senior Night," Donna confirmed, looking around.

"Kind of lame, no?" I said. 

"Hey! It's just getting started!" Derek protested, dropping down at my side with a couple of cans of root beer.

"Are you kidding me with this stuff," Donna said, tossing the can into the sand. "Where's the goods?"

"I didn't bring any 'goods'" Derek said sarcastically, making air quotes. "We come home with even a trace of alcohol smell and mom and dad will kill us first and ask questions later."

"My brother, the goody-goody," Donna said, narrowing her eyes. 

"My sister, the lush," he countered.

She scoffed and got up, dusting off her legs. "I'm going to go see what Dino and those guys brought, I'll be right back."

She lopped off through the sand toward the tent Dino and the other loudmouths from our class had pitched. At least a dozen empty beer cans littered the area around their cooler, and Dino and Alison were already going at it in a flimsy beach chair like there was no tomorrow.

"Those two really need to get a room," Derek said taking a swig of his root beer.

"Or at least a tree," I replied, lifting my chin.

Mara Winters and Lawrence Dodd, couple of the year, were making their way along the sand towards the woods, their arms latched around each other. She laid her head on his shoulder and he kissed the top of it as the matched each other stride for stride. They looked so perfectly in sync moving together, like they were attached to the hip. I knew that if I tried to walk like that with a guy, I'd be so awkward and nervous I'd probably trip us both right into the lake.

"Looks like a lot of people are pairing off," Derek said.

He pointed out another couple headed in the opposite direction of Mara and Lawrence. From this distance, I couldn't make out who they were. I looked out at the teeny tiny waves lapping at the shore and sighed.

"What's the matter, Cass?" Derek said, nudging my shoulder with his elbow. "Senior night just not wild enough for you?"

"I got something that will help!" Donna chimed in.

She returned to the blanket with three beers, dropping one in front of each of us. Derek and I both let ours lie, but Donna popped hers open and took a long swig.

"Oh ick!" she said, sticking out her tongue. "This tasted like ass!"

"And how exactly do you know what ass tastes like?" I asked her.

She pulled back and whacked me in the shoulder with the back of her hand. Then she held her breath and took another drink. Donna was nothing if not always ready to party. I had always admired her ability to try new things and let go. Whenever I tried to do it with her, I always ended up talking myself out of it by panicking about potential consequences. 

"So what's the problem?" Donna asked me. "Irritated that everyone's got a Neanderthal to snuggle up with except you?"

I laughed. "Well, when you put it that way. . ."

"No! I'm with you," Donna said taking another sip. "I'd give anything for a little action. 

"Okay, SO didn't need to hear that," Derek said, wincing.