Chapter 15

By the time we got home, it was pitch black outside.

Clouds rolled in and blocked out the moon and stars and thickened the night air to the point where I could feel it clinging to me as Jared walked me to the door.

My stomach was bursting, and considering how hard I had worked and how much I had eaten , I should have been about ready to pass out. Instead, my heart was pounding and every inch of my body was awake and alert.

I was going to get my first kiss. I was sure of it. And could I ask for a better moment? Dinner alone at a nice restaurant. An incredible talk over candlelight. A leisurely drive home with no daredevil moves whatsoever. 

And Jared.

Jared Kent, who was far more exciting, far more interesting, far more gorgeous than any other guy I had met. No wonder my blood was rushing so fast.

"So, am I forgiven?" Jared asked as we paused by my front door. The light was on over the steps but there was no sign of my parents.

"Forgiven?" I asked, smiling in an admittedly loopy way.

I swear I felt drugged ir something. It made me wonder whether pasta had endorphins. More likely, it was just being around Jared -wondering what would happen next.

"For last night," he said.

"Oh! Right!" I exclaimed. I had completely forgotten that this night had started off as an apology. "Yes. You are definitely forgiven."

"Buy a girl some Italian food and you can get away with anything," Jared joked, taking a step closer to me. 

"You are a master of the female mind Jared Kent," I joked back.

"So," he said, reaching out and taking my hand.

I took one step closer to him. The hem of my dress brushed the front of his pants.

"So..."

He searched my eyes, smiled, and leaned slowly toward me. 

Exhilarated panic seized my heart. This was it! What should I do? Close my lips? Open them? Close my eyes? What? 

All these thoughts flew through my mind in about a quarter of a second and then one voice prevailed about all others.

You've imagined this a thousand times! Don't screw it up!

So I closed my eyes and hoped for the best.

And then the front door creaked. My eyes flew open, Jared jumped back a step, and my father cleared his throat. Loudly.

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

Everything inside of me deflated. One second I was feeling all warm and fuzzy with the scent of Jared's cologne enveloping me and the tingle of his lips just millimeters away. The next second I was staring into the angry eyes of my father.

Major buzz kill.

"Dad! We were just-"

"You must be Jared," my father interrupted me. His stare was colder than granite.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Grace," Jared said smoothly, offering his hand. My father hesitated for a second, then shook it.

"It's getting late, you should be heading home."

"Absolutely," Jared said, putting his hands into his pockets. "Gracie, I'll call you tomorrow?"

"Uh... sure," I told him.

"You have lessons tomorrow, Cassandra," my father said. "And you need to work out with Lola."

Could he be any more embarrassing? "I know," I said through my teeth. "But I'm sure that I'll have time for a phone call," I assured Jared.