Chapter 5

Considering I had rolled out of bed this morning, braided my hair, mucked out the stalls, fed the horses, and gone directly on my ride, I was fairly noxious at this point and in desperate need of a shower. I told Jared to give me 45 minutes and gave him directions to the ranch. 

"Just don't pick me up on the thing," I say, pointing at the ATV.

"Don't worry. I just got a new car and I've been dying to take it out again," he replied.

Shocker

Mom was at work (the elementary school got out two weeks after the high school did) and Dad was at my Uncle Rod's helping him patch a hole in his garage roof. 

I pinned my hair up and showered quickly, then undid my braids and let my hair fall down over my shoulders in waves. Then I threw on my favorite jeans and sneakers, and changed my shirt four times before I finally decided on what to wear. And you know what? I'm not going to dress up for an invader. Not this girl. 

Finally I pulled over my A&W t-shirt, my favorite one, and walked out to wait for Jared.

He was ten minutes late and the music blared from his car radio as he sped up the dirt road. I had to wave my hand in front of my face to clear the dust as he paused in front of me. His new car was a 2-door BMW sports thing in gunmetal silver with black leather seats. The top was, of course, down.

"Hop in," he said with a grin.

His hair was clean now and all tousled, but look perfect anyway. My pulse responded to the sight of him by rushing annoyingly through my ears. No one had ever had this kind of effect on me. I had to get a grip. 

I opened the car door and sunk into the seat in what I hoped was a casual way. I was the cleanest car I had ever seen.

"So, where to?" he asked. 

"Know how to get to downtown?" I asked, laying my arm on top of the door.

"Downtown, that's funny. You sure one gas station and a library qualifies." Jared joked.

"You are hysterical," I said flatly.

He revved the engine a few times, showing off, then peeled out. I gripped the door seat as he flew down the drive way and zoomed onto Town Line Road without so much as a glance over his shoulder.

"Don't worry! I'm a great driver!"he shouted over the roar of the air whipping by.

I fumbled for my seat belt and locked it in  as we flew by trees and fences in a blur.

"You might want to slow down. People have animals around here, and you know, children." I say.

"Live a little!" Jared shouted.

"We're almost there!" I said, hoping that might slow him down. "It's Pete's Diner up here on the right!"

Jared slammed on his brakes and I shot forward, the seat belt cutting into my skin. He cut the wheel and whirled into a parking space. It took a full 5 seconds before I could breathe again.

"Sweet ride, right?" he said, climbing over the car door. 

"Yeah," I said, hoping I hadn't peed my pants. "Sweet."

Jared walked around and opened my door for me. I looked up, surprise at the gentlemanly gesture. I wasn't surprised, however, when my knees quaked under me. Jared noticed my unsteadiness and started to laugh.

"You know, Gracie, if we're going to hang out, you're going to have to loosen up a little." he said, patting me on the back. 

"It's Cassie. Cassandra Grace. And who says we're going to hang out?"