Chapter 18

As always, I was ready to go early on Friday morning. Donna was notoriously late I was notoriously early.

Even when I tried to be late -fashionably and what not- I was always the first one to arrive.

Part of my reliability I guess.

So there I was, money in purse hair in French braid so
I wouldn't have to keep brushing it out every time I pulled something over my head, wondering how late, exactly, Donna would be.

I was hanging out in the kitchen flipping through the morning paper when I heard the now familiar sound of Jared's BMW pull up.

I jumped right out of my chair, glad my dad was out for the day.  We had spoken since the fight, but not much and definitely not about Jared himself.

When ever Jared called, which was usually every night, I took the phone back to my room to talk to him.

We talked for hours about everything. About school -he went to some expensive private academy and is headed to Columbia in the fall, about our friends, movies and other things. 

And the whole time I would be whispering by my window, hoping my father wouldn't burst into my room and make me hang up. 

I had never talked on the phone with a guy so much in my life, except maybe Derek.

The last thing I wanted was all of this excitement to be ruined by my dad flipping out. 

I had no idea whether my mom had talked to my father like she had promised, and if so, whether the conversation had been successful. 

To be honest, I was kind of afraid to ask. If no one brought it up again, maybe we could pretend like it never happened. 

Jared and I met out on the front walk.

Down in the paddock, Penny Haberman, one of the stable hands and riding instructors, led Marci Crewson through a series of low jumps on her horse Coco. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked Jared.

"Good morning to you too," he replied teasingly.

I laughed. "Sorry, I just never would have pegged you for a morning person."

"I'm usually not," he said. Twirling his keys around his finger, he looked around at the view of the hills -the wispy clouds chasing each other around the clear blue sky. "I don't know, I think this place is having some kind of effect on me."

You could have knocked me over with a finger flick. Was Jared Kent actually admitting he was starting to like Lake Logan?

"So I was thinking, a girl such as yourself should not go through life without knowing how to drive stick," he said. "So I've come to offer my services. My expertise is yours," he added with a bow.

Huh. A girl such as me? What does that mean exactly? I was very tempted to go with him and see if I could find out.

"That is if you're not busy with that entry fee of yours," he added.

By now, Jared was entirely familiar with my plans for county competition domination. 

Every night he grilled me about Lola and what the jumps were like and how many prizes I had won. He seemed very interested in the whole process, which is very cool.

"No, no lessons today. But I do have plans," I told him, some what reluctantly. "Donna's picking me up. We're going shopping. 

Jared smirked. "Where? Wonder Mart?"

I laughed. "No, we're going to the outlets."

"Ah yes. The outlets. My mother's already been there about five times. You can take a girl out of Manhattan, but you can't take the shopper out of the girl. Well, another time then," he said, turning away.

"Wait," I blurted.

Wait? What was I doing? Was it really that impossible for me to let him walk off?

Maybe it was the fresh morning air or the fact that he had rolled out of bed and come right over to see a "girl such as me," but I didn't want him to leave. He eyes me quizzically.

"Hang on a sec," I said.

I jogged back inside and grabbed my phone quickly finding Derek's name. 

Derek picked up on the first ring.

"Whaddup Cassie?" he said.

"Hey, let me ask you something," I said biting my lip. "How late exactly is Donna running?"

"Is she supposed to be meeting you somewhere?" he said with a groan. "I'd better go get her up. DONNA!" he shouted, holding the phone away. "DONNA! YOU FREAK, GET OUT OF BED!"

"Wait, wait, wait," I said with a laugh. 

"What?" Derek asked, returning to me

"Just... tell her she can take her time," I said, smiling.

"Will do," he replied. "What are you guys doing anyway? And why wasn't I invited?"

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you," I said. "Catch ya later."

I hung up the phone before he could ask me anything else and practically skipped out the door.

Jared was waiting patiently, watching Penny and Marci. 

"Okay, let's go," I said. 

His entire face lit up as he turned around. "Sweet."

"But we can't be long," I told him, my pulse skipping around like it always did when I was around him. "It'll have to be a quick lesson."

"We'll need an open space. Like a parking lot or something," Jared said. 

I considered this as I opened the passenger door of his sleek auto. "I have the perfect place."

*   *   *   *

Hello all!!!!! I am very VERY sorry that I've only been updating once a week lately. I've been really really busy. 

I hope you all liked this chapter. As you could probably tell, it's just a filler for what is to happen in next chapter. 

I want to give a HUGE thank you to every single one of my readers. I've made it to 1k views, which is something that I would not have even dreamed of. I am really really blessed to have every single one of y'all supporting me through my writing journey. 1k views means a lot more to me than y'all will ever know. 

Again, thank you all so so much!!! 

Much love, Kylie <3