Chapter 10

"Do you think I'm sorority material?" Donna asked from behind her laptop looking at the Rutgers University website.

Derek launched a kernel of popcorn at me and I expertly caught it in my mouth.

We were sitting on the round vinyl bench near the glass doors that fronted the movie theater, all of which were open.

Outside, it was another scorcher, and after a morning of lessons, I had come over to use the theater for its free popcorn, endless soda supply, and air-conditioning. This was a fairly frequent summer ritual. Unfortunately, this morning, the AC had broken down. Thus the open doors.

"Definitely," Derek said, taking a sip of his soda. "As long as it's the Animal House kind and not the Legally Blonde kind."

Donna dropped the laptop in her lap. "Hello? Animal house was a fraternity."

Derek laughed. "Oh. Right. Then no."

She whacked him with the laptop which sent him leaning sideways. 

A warm breeze kicked up, spiraling her red curls all over the place. 

I whipped an elastic hairband out of my back pocket and handed it to her so she could get her hair out of her face. 

"Don't listen to him," I said, taking the bucket of popcorn from his side. "I think you'd do great in a sorority if you want to be in one. But if you think you need one to make friends, don't. You will have a problem there"

"Thanks," Donna said with a smile. Then she sighed and picked up the sweatshirt again. "This place just looks so big."

My heart thumped extra hard at the thought of Donna down at Rutgers surrounded by strangers. She would make a new best friend, some perky sorority girl in a cardigan, and they would go to parties together, and talk about boys, and take the train into New York City. (One of the reasons Donna wanted to go there was because it was so close to Manhattan.) What was I supposed to do when I was replaced?

"Why the hell aren't we going to the same school?" Donna asked suddenly, reading my thoughts.

I put my head on her shoulder and sighed. "I have no idea."

Just then a sleek white Lexus pulled into the U Save gas station across the street. The back door opened and out stepped Jared. My whole body started tingling before I even fully registered it was him.

"Oh, look. There's your boy, Cass," Derek teased.

"He's not my boy," I said, even though my pulse begged to differ.

An older man with greying hair stepped out from behind the wheel and stretched his arms out at his sides, taking a deep breath of fresh air.

"Holy crap. That must be his dad. He looks just like him!" Donna said, leaning forward. "My God. We're actually looking at the infamous Robert Kent. He does have kind of a James Bond kind of think going on, no?"

"Totally," I replied.

I kind of felt like a shameless Peeping Tom, gaping at a clueless Jared as he pumped gas into the tank, but I was pretty much brimming with curiosity. 

I squinted and tried to get a look at the woman in the passenger seat. 

Susan Kent.

My mother's former best friend.

Lake Logan's most famous former resident.

I was dying to know what she looked like, but she was mostly in shadow and all I could make out was a head of poofy blond hair. She flipped the visor down and checked her lipstick in the mirror. I saw her reapply and press her lips together before sitting back in the seat, satisfied. 

"I wish she would get out of the car," Donna whispered.

"What's the big deal? She's just a woman," Derek put in, though he was watching just as closely as we were.

Jared's father went inside of the little gas station to pay and Jared leaned against the drivers side door, his legs crossed at the ankle. He tipped his head back, yawned, and drummed his fingers against the car.

When his father came back, he jumped to attention and held the car door while his father slowly lowered himself into the seat. Then Jared slammed it, got in the back, and the Kent's drove off.

For a guy who resented their father for dictating his summer plans, Jared sure was helpful to the man. He was almost acting like he was his father's valet.

"Well, I suppose you two are going to dissect that sighting for the next two hours," Derek joked.

I glanced at my watch. "Actually, I have to get home," I said, handing him the bucket of popcorn. "New clients coming in at three, don't want to be late."

"Aw, really?" Donna whinned.

"Sorry, kids. I'll call you tonight," I said, pushing the doors open.

"There she goes! Reliable, predictable Cassie Grace!" Derek called out as I stepped into the thick humid afternoon.

I shot him a look of death as his comment got right under my skin. Why did it seem that lately, the jab  that I'd been hearing most of my life was getting me more than usual?

*   *   *   *

Hello everyone!!!! I hope y'all liked today's chapter.

I know it was kind of a short one, but it's just a filler. Next chapter will be twice as long as the usual one's, so stay tuned for that.

I seriously cannot thank y'all enough for your support it means the world to me.

I would like to give a special thanks to @Kriyatv for her ongoing support. She has supported me and my book since the very beginning. She is currently writing a book called 'Between the Chaos.' It is an exceptional book that I think is well worth your time. Please go show her some love, she deserves it and much more. 

Again, thank you all SO SO much for every vote, comment, and view that you all have given me!!!

Much love, Kylie < 3