Chapter 21

"it's way too early in the morning for this," Donna said, adding a huge yawn. She was wearing her American Flag bikini, denim shorts, and big circle sunglasses and sucking down coffee from a Dunkin Donnuts' travel mug. "Don't tell me Jared's a morning person, you know how I hate morning people."

"I'm a morning person," I reminded her. "I've been up for more than three hours already."

"Yeah, and you are way too perky," she grumbled. "Why are we friends again?"

"Very funny," I replied.

I leaned back on my elbows on the beach blanket and tipped my face toward the strengthening sun.

This early in the morning, the beach was empty except for me, Donna, and a couple of ducks paddling around near the shore.

Out on the lake, a couple of fishing boats were anchored and I could see the poles sticking up into the air, though I couldn't make out who the fishermen were. So far, no one had caught anything, but I knew those guys could stay out there for hours and just soak in the dun.

Even further out, a large sail boat cut slowly across the lake, probably heading for the invader heavy sailing club on the eastern shore. 

A light breeze ruffled the leaves on the trees and I let out a luxuriant sigh. These were the moments that I appreciated Lake Logan's laziness. This was the life. 

"So, what are we doing here again?" Donna asked.

"I don't know, Jared said he had some kind of plan."

Personally, I thought that it was just cool that he was so gung ho to make up yesterday's slight with Donna. Clearly he didn't take after his old man, the guy who had told off my mother over the phone while her best friend laughed in the background.

Huh. Maybe the apple falls further from the tree than most people would have believed. Maybe I'd have to tell the folks about this later.

"Um... What's that noise?" Donna asked, pushing her sunglasses up on top of her head. 

I sat up just now noticing the insistent buzzing sound. "Chainsaws?" I said.

"Nah. Too high pitched," Donna said. She put her coffee cup down in the sand and pushed herself up. "Besides, I think it's coming from the lake."

I stood up as the bussing grew louder and louder. 

A whoop and a shout echoed from the water and suddenly a pair of jest skis sped into view, spewing water everywhere as they cut haphazard wakes through the shallow part of the lake. 

I recognized Jared instantly, as he cut right over his partner's wake, executing a little jump.

The jet ski slapped back down onto the lake only a few yards from the fishing boats. I closed my eyes against the shouts of anger and tried not to smile.

This type of hot-dogging wasn't illegal, but was definitely frowned upon this close to shore. Even out deep, speed boats and jet skis were few and far between.

We were all about tranquility in Lake Logan and most people hated it when that tranquility was tampered with. Especially if the tampering was being done by an invader.

"What the hell do they thing they're doing?" Donna blurted. She sounded indignant, but when I turned to look at her, she was grinning too.

How could you not? 

Jared and his friend were speeding toward the shore now, all wet and grinning, being boys. That kind of thing that had an effect on girls like us. All girls, actually.