Chapter 20

Penny was sweeping out the stable office when I caught her later that afternoon.

Her choppy red hair was plastered with sweat to the back of her neck and she had taken off her long sleeved shirt and tied it around her waist, exposing her ripped arms.

When Penny wasn't working on the ranch, she was in boxing at the gym in Morganville.

Dina claimed he had once seen her fight in an actual ring and knock the other girl out, but it was a claim that had never been sustained.

I had never asked Penny about it myself. She wasn't much for talking herself.

"He Penny? Can I ask you a favor?" I said.

Lola moseyed her was over to the gate at the sound of my voice and nuzzled my shoulder. I petted her snout in response.

She was probably irritated that I hadn't taken her out yet today, but because of the day off and the shopping trip I had foregone my morning ride.

So not worth it obviously. I would have to make it up to Lola with an evening stroll.

Penny kept sweeping. "What's up kid?"

"I was wondering if maybe you could cover my lessons tomorrow morning," I said. "You can have the fees, obviously."

She straightened up and fixed me with a steely eyed stare.

"What," I asked taken aback

"Nothing." She grabbed my wrist, holding it between her thumb and forefinger. "Pulse seems normal." She took off her glove and felt my forehead. "Not hot. So we can rule out the delusional fever. What happened? He'll freeze over?"

I cracked a smile. "I know it's not like me-"

"Not like you?" She said returning totals the broom. "All you have ever talked about for about a year is making money for that entry fee. Now two weeks into summer and you're giving up your lessons? What gives?"

She was right, of course. The last thing I should be doing was passing off my clients. Especially three of them.

But how was I supposed to turn down Jared's invitation and thwart his attempt to apologize to Donna?

It was so sweet that he even wanted to try. Plus, if everything worked out, there would be an added bonus of my best friend and the guy I really wanted to kiss getting along. That would definitely be a plus.

But I had a feeling Penny wouldn't understand any of this. That she would, in fact, whack me with the broom stick for suggesting that I choose fun over work. So I decided to keep it simple.

"I just have something really important to do," I said. "Please. I promise I won't ask again. It's just this one time."

She paused her sweeping and leaned on the broom. "How many students you got?"

"The Locke boys come in at ten o clock and this new girl Olivia is coming in at eleven thirty," I said hopefully. "I'll be honest, the Locke kids are no angels and I haven't met Olivia yet. You could be in for it."

Penny smiled and scoffed, shaking her head. "You really know how to sell a girl."

I felt a rush of panic. "No! They're not that bad," I lied. "Please, Penny. I just-"

"Relax kid. I was just being sarcastic. You know I like a challenge. And I definitely like some extra cash."

"Really?" I squealed, causing Miss Piggy to whine in irritation in the next stall over. "Thank you so much!"