-8-

The blindingly bright lights disoriented me, and my head throbbed painfully. As my eyelids fluttered open, I attempted to lift my head but found myself unable to do so. "What in the world is happening?" I whispered hoarsely, the anguished question escaping my lips. I heard footsteps and saw shadowy figures moving about, but their noises and movements were erratic, coming and going randomly. My world was spinning, and I couldn't focus on a single point. Gradually, my surroundings began to slowly come back to me. I tried to scratch my head but my arms were stuck. The ropes around my wrist were taut and unyielding. I could hear a faint ticking noise, but I didn't know where it was from. All of a sudden, I became acutely aware of my surroundings. "What the Hell?" I pull my hands again but it's no use, they won't budge. I look up to see Ghost, Roach, Gaz and Alejandro. "What is happening? What is this?"

"So it is you, Y/N. Gary was telling the truth after all." I glanced at Roach as he looked away. I turned my attention back to Gaz. "Who do you work for?"

"What?"

The way Garrick approached me, his gait was slow and measured. "You're pretending to be someone so obviously, you aren't on our team," he said. He leaned down, his hands on his knees. His whisper reached me in my ear, "You have exactly fifteen seconds to answer me before I trigger a bomb in your skull that will blow your head off and kill you."

Okay, that caught my attention. "I don't work for anyone else other than Price."

"Then why hide the fact that you're Y/N?"

"I swear, this is all just some big misunderstanding. Price knows who I am, even Johnny knows!" I cast a glance at Ghost. "Ghost, you've known me for years, can't you trust me?"

"You've been lying to me for years as well."

"You guys have no idea how much I wanted to tell you, but Captain told me not to tell you. Price told me to keep this a secret, I swear. Apparently, he said that you guys may not accept having a girl fight with you on the field and that because of my high rank, you might envy me and do things you should not do."

"That's bullshit."

"I know. I told him so, but he's the most stubborn man I've ever met, other than you." I nodded towards Ghost. He grunted. "Look, can't you just let this go? I told Soap I'd go change and meet up with him. He wants to go train."

At that moment, Johnny entered the room. "What on Earth is-" He looked at me all tied up. "WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON?" He screamed, walking towards me and untying the ropes on my hands and feet.

"Thank you, Johnny."

"No problemo, m'lady." He joked, showing a toothy grin. He turned to the rest of the room. "What are you all thinking? She's Y/N. Not someone else. Did you guys get hit on the head or something? Now because of you idiots, she has to go face Price and tell 'im how you all screwed up so bad you almost killed his best recruit."

Nobody spoke. Nobody said a thing. Nobody moved.

"Johnny, you can let go of me now, you know." He looked down at his hand grabbing my arm and muttered a 'sorry' before letting go and rubbing his hands on his shirt.

"Bunch of dumbarses, innit?" He looked towards me. "Yer' lookin' a bit off, darlin'. Ya a'ight?"

"Mhm." I nodded my head and looked at the other guys. "Firstly, I would like you to excuse me since Johnny and I have to go to training now. If you could just clean up this mess that you have created and then go tell Price what has happened, I would appreciate it!" I clap my hands together as I say, "I think this afternoon's drama would have a lot of interest for him!"

Roach was looking at his feet while Gaz was biting his lip and Simon just had his arms crossed. Alejandro left the room scoffing before Soap and I left ourselves. "Thanks." I mutter.

***

"Y/N, can I tell you a joke?"

"Sure, Johnny."

"Why don't shrimp share?" I could see him biting the inside of his cheek, trying so hard not to laugh."

I sighed. "Why?"

"Because they're a little shellfish!" He burst out laughing at his own joke.

"God, help me." I mutter.

"Wanna hear another?"

"Fine."

"Why was the strawberry crying?" I didn't even have time to ask before he answered, "Because it was in a jam!"

After about a dozen more frustrating - and unfunny - jokes, Kyle came in. "Hey, Y/N."

"Hey, Gaz."

He looked out of place and was fidgeting with his fingers. "I just came here to apologise to you. We shouldn't have done what we did. We had no proper reason to do that." He stared at me in silence while still fidgeting, before continuing on. "Ghost wants to see you, though."

I sighed, probably getting an idea of what was ahead. I got up and left the arena, finding my way to Simon who was outside on the field. "Simon?"

His back tensed up but he didn't turn around. "Y/L/N."

"You want to see me?" I walked until I was right next to him. He was really tall and massive.

He eyed me but kept facing forward. "So you're really Ripper, huh?" His hands were in his pockets and he was just staring through the trees, nodding his head. "I should've figured it out, your schedules match exactly."

"Simon, that's why you're a military soldier and not a detective."

He scoffed and muttered "Detective my ass." Turning to face me, he placed his hands on my shoulders and said "You should've at least told me. Fuck everyone else, I would've wanted to know about this first and you know it."

"I wanted to, trust me I really did. It's just that I kind of wanted to keep my job, y'know?" Suddenly, Ghost lets go of me and his eyes widen with horror. "Simon? Are you okay?"

He looks up at me. "It just clicked to me that at you're Ripper. Ripper. I was a complete asshole to you this whole time!"

"Oh yeah, I know. You're a dick."

"Y/N, I'm sorry, you know that right? I just didn't like you but I like you and now that I know you're you I guess I like both of you."

Staring at him with an eyebrow raised I said "I'd pay to see what you just said on paper."

He chuckles and turns back towards the trees. "I do care about you, you know. Outside of this task force and outside the military, I care about you as a person." He's quiet before speaking up again. "You're different from the rest of the team. You're quiet. But loud at the same time. I'm not really sure how." He turns to me. "I have to admit something we both know. I admire your abilities very much."

I laughed. "I know you do, is that the reason why you were so ang-"

"-Y/N Y/L/N, GET YOUR ASS HERE RIGHT NOW!"

We both turned around so fast to find Captain Price pacing towards us fuming, Soap looking sorry at his side.

"Yes Captain?"

"You were supposed to keep your mouth shut, Y/N. I told you what would happen and now Simon has dragged you here probably to ki-"

He stopped speaking when Simon put his arm on top of my head, our height difference making it easier for him to do so.

"Oh. You're not mad?" He asked Ghost.

"Why should I be? About time we got another girl getting her hands dirty other than Farah. That woman is scary."

We all laughed at Simon's comment before Captain and Soap left, leaving me and Ghost alone again.