CHAPTER 6: The cold never bother them, feelings does

MICHELLE's POV

"Remind me again why this was a good idea."

She laughed at Anntonia's usual crankiness. Her arms were around herself and she was shivering, the revealing top she'd worn on her date doing little to cover her body or provide warmth at the cold evening of December. So she shrugged off her jacket and put it around the girl's shoulders though she took it with an annoyed huff and that made her bit back a laughter. It was just like her to accept help while still acting like a strong independent woman.

"Of course it is. The sky is clear of clouds tonight so it's a perfect time to stargaze." She answered as she sank down to sit on the ground. Just few meters away from the university swimming pool which is nearby Anntonia's dorm so she thought, they can spend a little more time there before she walk her back home after their little celebration of ditching their dates today. "And because I think we've both had enough drinking for tonight. Let's sober up here."

Anntonia simply chuckled and sank down to sit next to her. The moon shone bright, making the water from the pool almost glint and the sky was clear enough to make out the constellations. Not a soul was in sight.

She then looked sideways at the girl. She wondered if she knew how happy she'd been to get that stupid SOS earlier. She knew it wasn't fair but it wasn't like that between her and Anntonia, so she had no reason to feel the the selfishness she was feeling right now. She dated so many girls in the last few weeks, so Ann was obviously allowed to date, too. Especially since she used her as a decoy to get out of dates that didn't go the way she wanted them to go.

And still. When she mentioned she had a date, she wanted nothing more than to rush over wherever she was and get her out regardless of how it was going. Even if Anntonia had such high standards, she couldn't help but wonder what kind of person you had to be to actually get her to agree to go out with her. And from there, she couldn't help fretting. Did Irfan passed her standard? Was she gonna let kiss her? Hold her hand? Would she let him take her home?

The truth was, she'd already been halfway out the door when Anntonia texted. She had no idea what she would've done but just knew she had to get her ass over the café where her date was. She told himself it was because the girl was her friend and she couldn't just let some random person take advantage of her. She's just a concern and protective friend. Sure, Anntonia could totally hold her own and take care of herself and she actually pitied the fool who dared to underestimate the girl and try to take advantage of her, but then again, she wasn't thinking clearly.

"Penny's for your thoughts?" Anntonia's voice made her flinch, realizing how lost in thought she'd been.

"What?" She muttered.

"You seemed a million miles away. Do you regret ditching your long legged hot chick earlier?" She asked her and nudged her shoulder playfully, clearly mocking her, but she tensed at the joke.

"Hell no," she turned to face her, ending up a bit closer to the girl than she'd anticipated or than it was comfortable or safe. She suddenly gulped when her eyes landed on her lips but tried to hold herself before continuing. "I'd much rather spend the night with you, freezing our asses in the cold of the night than take home some bimbo with delusions of instant commitment." She snorted and then paused, unsure how to approach this situation. "H-How about you? D-Did you regret ditching that sporty Mr. Muscle of yours?"

Anntonia turned away from her, settling her gaze across the glittering water of the pool as she fell silent. On the other hand, she took that moment to look at the girl, as she always did with all the moments when she was looking away. As much as she feared to admit it, she loved these little moments. Ann was so beautiful and so unaware and so vulnerable at the moment and she suspected it wasn't a look she allowed many people to see.