Chapter 19: Inevitable doom

THIRD PERSON's POV

Graduation day.

Anntonia was sitting in the crowd, her robe and graduation hat on and her eyes glossy with tears she held back. This was not how she'd imagined her graduation day and she hated Michelle for not being here. At the same time, she hated herself for allowing her absence to take such a toll on such a big day for her.

She hadn't heard from the girl the whole week. Not since they'd had that fight in her room. She had just getting random texts from the girl every now and then, just for her to disappear again and again every time she hoped she'd gotten through to her after hundreds of apologies.

Michelle: Out of town. Don't worry. I'm fine.

Anntonia: Out of town? Where the hell are you really?

Then another days of unresponded texts followed.

Anntonia tried to get in the mood and be happy about graduation, she tried to bring herself to clap and laugh with the crowd at every joke each speaker threw, but Michelle's absence was like a spider crawling inside her chest filling her with cobwebs. Her eyes kept drifting through the crowd, looking for the girl.

And even when they started reading the names and calling graduates up on stage, she couldn't find Michelle.

Anntonia: Love, I'm worried about you. When are you coming back? Please, we can fix this. Come back.

Michelle: All good. See you soon.

"Anntonia Porsild," she heard her name being called and at that moment, she had no choice but put on a fake smile, the best she had, ignored the way it burned off her lips and forced herself to stand up. She forced herself to walk with her head held high, with her eyes looking straight ahead despite them begging to slide left and right looking for a specific person.

But she forced herself to acknowledge that this was her moment after all. Michelle chosen not to be a part of it.

Anntonia: Where are you please? I'm going out of my mind.

Michelle: Be back soon.

"Congratulations!"

She shook every person on stage's hands and walked off with her diploma, the product of her sacrifices all these hers, the fruit of her hardwork and dedication, a proof of her success but her mind didn't recognize those but rather the drowning, thunderous applause that followed her, clinging to her skin and burning her. She kept her smile on as she took her place again in the crowd and braced herself for what followed.

After few moments later, the Literature department was about to proclaim their graduates and she couldn't help but turn to the side where the other graduates are, hoping to see the very person her eyes been looking since she came here.

"Michelle Daniela Dee."

Anntonia braced herself for the awkward silence that followed. For the awkward seconds when no one came up on stage, for them to awkwardly say her name again and the second round of awkward silence as they realized the person wasn't there. She tightly closed her eyes and waited for both the calm around her and the storm within her to subside.

Where are you, Michelle? Her mind asked.

But what she hadn't expected were more louder applause. She immediately opened her eyes and blinked couple of times, dared to look up. And there she was. Michelle Dee.