Chapter 8

One Night In Gotham

Jesse and Carrie were in their sidekick uniforms, the two were standing on a rooftop waiting for someone. "You sure he will be here?" Jesse asks Carrie who nods. "Yes, I find out at school." Carri said to her making Jesse look at her. "Oh, okay. Did you use the school's computer?" Jesse asks her. "Yep, and it was on your accent." Carrie said to her. "Wait what?" Jesse said to her then the two hear van. "Look." Carrie said to her making Jesse look down to see the van Carrie was talking about and the two see a rocket launcher being taken out of the van. "That doesn't look good." Jesse said to Carrie who nods. "And in the hands of the mutants will be very bad for us and Gotham." Carrie said to her. "I agree on that." Jesse said to her as the two watch as the leader of the mutants named Vernon Wagner look at the launcher. "Let's go." Carrie said to Jesse who nods.

The van drives away and Vernon turns to see Jesse and Carrie standing behind him. "You lost, little girls?" Vernon asks the two. "Yeah, I'm looking for my Batarang." Carrie said to him with a smile. "By any chance, have you seen it?" Jesse asks him then Carrie throws one of her batarangs at at Vernon hitting him. "Oh. There it is." Carrie said to him as Vernon pull out the batarang of his body. Vernon throws it back at them but the girls move out of the way. "You missed." Jesse said to him while she pulls out her two escrima sticks. Vernon approaches them and tries to strike Carrie, but she sidesteps him, then Jesse smacks him with her sticks. Vernon strikes Jesse in the face, causing Carrie to get up and give him a side kick. As Carrie tries to strike him, Vernon grabs her hand and kicks her till she falls to the ground. Before Vernon can take any action, Jesse smacks the man in the knees with her escrime sticks as he approaches Carrie. Jesse tries to strike him again, but he catches her by the neck and begins to choke her. Rising to her feet, Carrie throws herself onto the man's back, forcing him to drop Jesse to the ground. Vernon tried to hit Carrie, but he was having trouble because she had a chokehold on him. Next move, Vernon grabs Carrie's jacket and flips her over so that she lands next to Jesse. The two girls stand up as Vernon approaches them, prompting Carrie to draw her grapple gun. She fires at him, but Vernon snatches it with his hand. "Nice try." Vernon said to her then he starts pulling on the line making Carrie move over to him while he laughs. "Behind you." Jesse said to Carrie who turns to see an electricity box. Vernon receives an electric jolt from another wire that Carrie fires into the box before he collapses. "That was easy." Jesse said to Carrie who laughs a little, the girls then hear the police sirens. "Time to go." Carrie said to her then the two run away into the shadows as the police arrives on the scene.

At The Clock tower / Belfry

Skylar was holding Cullen who was sitting in between his legs sleeping. "Don't you two look cute." Duela said to her brother who looks at her. "I can't wait to see little Skylars' and Cullens' babies walking around." Duela said to him. "Like that will happen." Skylar said to her while he was playing with Cullen's hair. "Why? Is it because we can't have children who will also be evil guys since we are the bad guys?" Duela asks him while she walks away from him. "I don't think that is how it works." Skylar said to her. "Take a look at us, my dear brother. It will happen." Duela said to him making Skylar roll his eyes. Skylar looks down to see Cullen was awake looking at him. "What?" Skylar asks him making Cullen give him a kiss on the cheek.  

Turner was by the desk reading his dad's journal until Carrie and Jesse walk in and sees something was up. "You two okay?" Turner asks them making the two girls look at him. "We are great." Carrie said to him with a smile. "Then I assume there's someone somewhere who's not great." Harper said to two while Skylar plays with Cullen's hair. "Yep. Guy about the size of a refrigerator, bit of a temper and interesting outfit choice." Jesse said to them. "Goes by the name Vernon Wagner." Carrie said to them making Turner look at them. "Wait, you two went up against the leader of the Mutant gang?" Turner asks them worried that the two maybe hurt right now. "Mmm, more like he went up against us. And lost." Jesse said to him with a smile. "We been tracking them for weeks. Got to say, worth it." Carrie said to them and she first bumps Jesse. "So...so are they called the Mutant gang 'cause they're actually, like, mutated or just 'cause it sounds scary?" Cullen asks the two while Jesse and Turner stare at each other. "I'm thinking they're a little less scary without their leader." Carrie said to him. "Oh." Skylar said to her with a smile. "Nice work." Turner said to the two. "Thank you very much." Jesse said to him with a smile. "This one was kind of personal, actually. Probably should have thanked the Mutant Leader. He's the reason I met your dad." Carrie said to Turner. "And became his sidekick. Yeah, you mentioned that. So did my dad. He wrote about it in his journals." Turner said to her as Duela walks over to them. "So, how does that happen? Is there, like, a application process? Batman took out an ad in the Gotham Gazette"? Like Mini-Bat wanted?" Duela asks Jesse and Carrie who look at her. "The Mutant gang threw him off a building in my neighborhood and I pulled him to safety." Carrie said to her. "Oh, you saved Gotham's savior. That's cute." Duela said to her. "I was actually just returning the favor. He'd been protecting my neighborhood since before I was born. I thought I owed it to Batman to help him help the people who needed it." Carrie said to her. "Well, I look forward to reading all about it in this little, uh..." Duela said as she tries to take the book from Turner who glares at her. "Okay. Fine. Maybe later." Duela said to him and she walks away. "Anything in there that can help us hunt down the Court of Owls?" Jesse asks Turner making Skylar shook his head. "A lot of conspiracy theories. It's not exactly a how-to on catching my dad's Killers. Nothing concrete. I can't help thinking the most important pages were the ones that were ripped out." Turner said to her making Jesse look at Carrie. "Well, um, I have an AP Bio exam to cram for. It's gonna do to me what the Mutant Leader couldn't." Carrie said to him and she walks up the stairs. "Does it say in here why Daddy didn't pick you to be his sidekick?" Skylar asks Turner while he and Duela walks over to Turner and Jesse. "I mean, Bat-points for him not just doing the whole nepotism thing, and clearly, Little Birds is qualified, but I mean, come on, It's gotta sting." Duela said to Turner. "A tiny, bitty bit  that he just handed his whole legacy to some random strangers, right?" Skylar asks him. "I'm sure he had his reasons." Turner said to them. "Okay." Skylar said to him as the two siblings walk away. 

"So..." Jesse said making Turner look at her. "You seen very worried about us." Jesse said to him. "Naturally, I was. You are a small kitten, and he is like a dog." Turner said to her. "So that's one reason to include it. However, except from some cuts and bruises, Carrie and I are doing fine." Jesse said to him making Turner nod as he looks away form her. "Hey." Jesse said to him as she holds his hand. "We have overcome larger opponents than him." Jesse said to him causing Turner to chuckle a little. "Is that to make me feel better?" Turner asks her. "Did it work?" Jesse asks him with a smile. "Maybe a little." Turner said to her with a smile making Jesse laugh a little.