Chapter 9

Once Megumi left, you were stood there. Questioning if what he said was really true. That you would make it back alive as well as Itadori. You knew there was a chance that something could happen. That was always the case. You just hoped that whatever does happen, you can counter it. You hoped, but even you knew that word was not to be taken lightly.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, you decided to just sleep your problems away. Let tomorrow's problems be dealt with tomorrow, was what you kept telling yourself. Eventually, sleep enveloped you. You knew it would be anything but calm but you didn't care. You were used to the same "dream" happening over and over again.

Yet, it seemed to only come when you were nervous. It was more of a memory than anything. That's what you told yourself, anyway. A memory from your past you'd much rather bury.

Once morning did eventually come, you jolted upright in bed. Reaching the conclusion of the "dream" that haunts you so. While you attempted to get your breathing in check, you heard a knock on your door. Forgetting your dishevelled state, you answered it. Seeing Fushiguro, Itadori and Kugisaki stood there.

"We were wondering when you were gonna wake up." Kugisaki remarked.

"Well, I operate on my own time zone – it's called 'fashionably late to consciousness'. You should try it sometime." You reply in an attempt to be witty.

It was very obvious you had only just woken up. If it wasn't for your ridiculous bed hair, you were still in your pyjamas. Sighing, you closed the door and quickly changed before meeting up with the three sorcerer's outside. And Itadori just had to make a remark.

"You know, you've become a lot more laidback since you came here." Itadori points out.

"So? I realised I didn't exactly need to keep my walls up the whole time. Doesn't mean I'm gonna spill every little secret about myself. I haven't been around people my age in a long time, you know?" You reply.

The four of you eventually made it to the front of the school where Ijichi-san was waiting for you. You had all read the brief in the car and eventually arrived at your first mission with the other first years, but second mission yourself.

"Our "window" confirmed the cursed womb's existence about three hours ago. When the evacuation guide was at 90%, we closed the facility after evaluating the scene. At the inmates' hospital 2nd lodge... five patients were left there with the cursed womb. If the cursed womb can metamorphose... we predict that it will become a high-grade cursed spirit." Ijichi explains.

"I don't care if any of those inmates are still alive. I'm not willing to save anyone. The word alone brings back unwanted memories. Why did I have to be placed on this mission?" You thought to yourself.

"Hey, I still don't really get all this high-grade stuff." Itadori says, causing Nobara to sigh.

"Fourth grade curses. You could fight them with a baseball bat. Third grade curses. A handgun. Second grade, or Quasi-Second grade curses. You'd barely manage with a shotgun. First grade, or Quasi-First grade curses. You need something stronger than a military tank. And high-grade. Rapid carpet bombing. That make sense to you now?" You say to Itadori.

He nods before Megumi begins speaking.

"Naturally, shamans with an equal level to the cursed spirits are assigned missions. In today's case, that would be someone like Gojo-Sensei, huh." Megumi says.

"So where's Gojo-Sensei?" Itadori asks.

"He's on a business trip." You sigh.

"In the first place, he can't just hang around in the school. He's talented. This industry always has a labour shortage. Many shamans have taken missions beyond their capabilities. But this time, it's an emergency. And there's an anomaly." Ijichi says.