Chapter 14- Green-eyed monster

The next day, Chavan returned to Nagpur, their hometown, after wrapping up things in Goa. Omi, Bhabani, Ashwini, Sonali, and a few other members arrived in the morning to make grand arrangements to welcome the new member of their family. Patralekha forced her to come back in the morning, leaving others to arrive later.

Patralekha was enraged to see Chavan Villa decked up like a bride to welcome the new bride. During her wedding, the whole Villa was not decorated like this. She overheard Bhabani telling their neighbors, "It's the first marriage of the Chavan family, the first daughter-in-law of this generation. Lakshmi, of our family,our home is coming home, so we need to make some special arrangements." She was shocked to hear this, and at that moment, Sonali said, "Patralekha, you are not a Chavan; you are a Salunkhe. So technically, Sai is our eldest daughter-in-law, our Lakshmi."

The Chavan family welcomed Virat and Sai with a bang. All the neighbors praised the beauty and behavior of Sai. Ashwini, who loves Sai a lot, took care of her like a daughter, and Sai became a little girl to her. Everyone smiled seeing the mother-daughter bonding. Patralekha saw green as she never received this kind of love from anyone in Chavan Nivas.

As the days passed, more functions started. A small Mukh Dikhayi ceremony was held for relatives and close neighbors. Ashwini dressed Sai in a Paithani saree and adorned her with various gold ornaments. Sai did her own makeup and hair, and Ashwini assisted her following Chavan traditions. Sai looked innocent and beautiful. Patralekha remembered that she neglected the traditions of the Chavan family, where the mother-in-law makes the new bride ready for her Mukh Dikhayi, and she called professional makeup artists, thinking that these old ladies didn't know how to prepare a girl. Clearly, that was not the case.

Sai touched everyone's feet and spoke with them politely, with a smile, earning praise from everyone. Many relatives said to Ashwini, "Ashwini, you are lucky to have such a beautiful and polite daughter-in-law." Ashwini smiled and replied, "Sai is my daughter. You know, I wished for a daughter, and God gave me one now."

Patralekha couldn't take it, and when it was her turn to meet Sai on the dias, she taunted her, "So our would-be doctor knows style and makeup too. I thought doctors always study, but here it's something else. I hope I don't end up with a style-diva doctor who knows everything except her own subject." Sai smiled, "Pakhi didi, don't judge a book by its cover. Test me with medicine or a scalpel." Pakhi was shocked; she thought of Sai as a polite and timid girl and never expected her to give such quick, witty answers.

Then came the reception, and Virat planned a grand entry for himself and Sai, hand in hand through an archway and red carpet, while people showered them with flower petals. Sai looked wonderful in a designer saree and veil on her head, while Virat dressed accordingly. Everyone praised the couple and their chemistry.

The next reception was at Gadchiroli, Sai's hometown. Here, she chose to wear a beautiful gown and looked like a princess, while Virat dressed as her prince charming. Mr. Kamal Joshi kept the party in her favorite spot, the garden where Virat and Sai spent lots of time during their days there. It was like a fairytale. Here, Patralekha learned about Virat and Sai's connection before marriage. She confronted Virat, "Did you know Sai beforehand? Do you love her?"

Virat calmly said, "Yes, I knew Sai for a long time. Kamal Sir was my trainer in the academy and Baba's friend. I was posted here in Gadchiroli, so it was normal to know her. And yes, I do love my wife Sai. She is a lovable person, and everyone loves her."

Virat left the place and went straight towards Sai; he held her waist, and she gave him a beautiful smile. Patralekha couldn't tolerate this and sat down on the ground, destroying the grass in anger and jealousy.