Chapter 8

Dazai POV

It takes about 15 minutes before me and Chuuya arrive at the Armed Detective Agency office. Chuuya, when we find ourselves standing outside of the building, complains that we should have just flown here, but it was a lovely temperature outside and I wanted to enjoy that while Spring lasted, before going outside became more sweaty than joyful. Besides, flying probably wouldn't have been good on Chuuya's lungs, with whatever problem he has. I was growing extremely curious and becoming more impatient the closer we got to our goal of talking to Yosano or Ranpo. Yosano's a doctor, the best one I know, who could easily diagnose Chuuya with whatever disease he's got. If Yosano wasn't there, Ranpo was our next best option. He may be able to find out, using his Ultra Deduction, what's going on with Chuuya, though the outcome of him figuring it out wasn't greatly probable, considering Chuuya's issue seems to be medical.

I open the door of the building, stepping inside and leaning against it, allowing Chuuya to come in. "Ladies first!" I exclaim, smiling. Chuuya glares at me as he walks into the office, irritation being obvious on his face. The door closes behind me when my weight retracts from pushing against it.

Kunikida's sitting at his desk, working, as to be expected. Constantly typing on his computer, too concentrated to even notice me and Chuuya. This is until Atsushi, who was sorting through files, looks up. "Dazai? Chuuya-san?"

Kunikida looks annoyed as his eyes dart up to meet mine. "Aren't you supposed to be banned from the Armed Detective Agency and our dormitories for the weekend?! Why are you here?!"

"We need to see Yosano. We have a slight...uh? Issue?"

"What's wrong now Dazai?"

"Well, it might sound crazy, but Chuuya here...he's been um... coughing up..."

"Petals." Chuuya interrupts from beside me, probably noticing my lack of words, and how my brain is currently not processing, probably still confused about what the hell is going on with him. Atsushi's eyes widen.

"You're delusional. I thought Dazai was the insane person, has he had a bad impact on you too?" Kunikida asks, sounding genuinely concerned, which is not a tone I often hear him speak in.

"I'm not delusional! It's true, Dazai witnessed it as well! Damn you inconsiderate Detective Agency members!"

"You expect me to believe Dazai?" Kunikida asks and I hear Chuuya mutter beside me, "You have a point..."

"Can we please see Yosano?~" I whined.

"She's in the Infirmary with Tanizaki at the moment, I'm sure she'll be out soon. You can stay and wait in here, but as soon as I hear the slightest noise from you, you're out, okay?"

"Okay, not a sound, Kunikida!" I exclaim, pulling Chuuya by the arm to sit down on the couch beside me.

We wait for what feels like twenty minutes, and it's exhausting trying to stay quiet for the whole time. Yosano comes out of the Infirmary, Tanizaki shakily trailing behind her.

"Yosano!"

"Dazai? Aren't you supposed to be...banned?" And why is a Port Mafia executive with you?" The third sentence reminded me that, surprisingly, Kunikida hadn't mentioned that.

"Well, Chuuya has a...disease? Could you please help us out?"

"You know I'd never decline being able to treat someone. If it's internal though, I'm not sure I can help much. Come in."

Yosano disappears into the Infirmary and we follow behind her. She takes a seat at the desk, me and Chuuya sitting in two wooden chairs not far from her.

"So, what's wrong with Chuuya-san?"

"He's been...coughing..."

I struggle to spit the words out once again, and again, Chuuya helps me. "Coughing up petals."

"Petals?" Yosano questions.

I nod.

"This has happened before, but..."

"But what?" Chuuya asks from beside me.

"It's called, unless there's another disease which makes you cough up petals, which I highly doubt, Hanahaki disease..."

"Hanahaki disease?" I repeat.

"Atsushi...he knows a lot about it."

"Atsushi?" I repeat again.

"I'd suggest talking to him."

Why Atsushi?

669 words