Chapter 9

(Dazai POV)

We walk out of the Infirmary confused, as is to be expected when you've just been told your ex-partner has some weird kind of internal disease-Hanki disease? I've completely forgotten-and that the abandoned orphan you adopted knows more about it then the best doctor you know.

"Atsushi? Can we talk to you outside?" I ask.

Atsushi looks up at me and Chuuya, then at Kunikida.

"We'll only be five minutes Kunikida, I promise!" I exclaim, seeing the annoyed look he had as soon as I asked to take Atsushi away from his work.

Kunikida hums. Atsushi stacks the papers he was sorting through into three perfectly neat piles before standing up and sliding his office chair in. The three of us head out of the office together. I, being the gentleman that I am, open the door and hold it open once again, letting Chuuya and Atsushi walk out before joining them outside of the building.

"So, Yosano has diagnosed Chuuya with some kind of weird disease..." I'm not sure of how to continue, considering I've forgotten the name of this illness.

"Hanahaki Disease." Chuuya states to the right of me.

"Oh." Atsushi's face darkens, his face blank, yet...sad?

"Atsushi...are you alright?" I ask, concerned.

Atsushi nods. "It's just...Yosano diagnosed Aku with Hanahaki Disease before he... Before he died."

"Are you saying that I'm going to die?!" Chuuya shouts. It stings my ears a bit.

"No. There is a cure. You see, Hanahaki Disease is very rare, you have to be very unlucky to be diagnosed with it." Chuuya looks down. "Hanahaki Disease occurs when the victim is introduced to the feeling of love. A romantic attachment to someone." Chuuya's eyes widen extravagantly. "As I said before, not all victims of love are unfortunate enough to get it, and, luckily, there is a cure. The victim must confess their feelings to the person they're in love with. (A/N: This sounds cheesy as fuck, I'm cringing so much trying to write this) Aku, sadly, was unable to do that. He was diagnosed too late, and with his other lung disease...he didn't have a winning chance. In the little amount of time he had, he wouldn't admit to having feelings for anyone."

"I'm sorry Atsushi..." Sympathy fills my face.

"I'm not in love with anyone though? How am I supposed to confess my feelings if I don't even know who I'm in love with?!"

"Chuuya, you've barely coughed while we've been out here. You've been diagnosed during the earlier stages of the disease, so you have a while to figure it out. I don't want what happened to Aku to happen again." Atsushi sighs. "I should go back to work...bye."

"Come on Chuuya, we'll figure this out." I pull Chuuya along, smiling, though I think the sadness in my eyes is so obvious that even a genuine smile couldn't cover it. I was scared. Really fucking scared.

488 words