Chapter 2

"Don't touch anything, unless you want to be zapped by Westalis lasers

"Don't touch anything, unless you want to be zapped by Westalis lasers." I sarcastically spoke as I opened my apartment door.

The man waltzed into my home and looked around, his hands in his pockets as he observed the place.

"Your place is so..." he paused, looking around, "plain. And boring. And you have no furniture." He admitted honestly.

He wasn't even trying to be mean as he held a honest and slightly concerned expression.

"I'm a spy. I had to move around a lot for my missions." I admitted. "As a spy, I'm always on the move all across Ostania. Sometimes I'm traveling secretly between Ostania and Westalis too." I spoke.

"How do you do that?" he questioned.

"Oh ho ho. Look at you, already trying to put that contract to use. I'm soooo glad you're interested in me—you know, like asking about my favorite color or what genre of movies I like?" I spoke sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"You're such a doll." He sighed, rolling his eyes too. "Brat..." He murmured quietly.

He followed me to my room as I grabbed the small amount of clothes set out for my everyday convenience as I shoved the clothes into a suitcase.

"Just so you know, I'm not looking for this to be a real thing. When we're in public and at work, we'll act close—but don't expect anything kind of special treatment behind closed doors. Our 'marriage' is just a piece of paper that can easily be destroyed. The only thing that we have in common is work; nothing else." The second-lieutenant spat harshly as he walked closer to me, standing tall as he looked down at me in more ways than one.

For some reason, I felt my heart stab as my stomach felt queasy. My head felt light as I looked up.

"I'm glad we're on the same track. I want nothing to do with you just as you do with me." I stated.

I huffed and took a step to the side to get the second-lieutenant out of my way. I walked to the bathroom and grab my soaps and routine-supplies, ignoring the way my chest felt sunken and my eyes stung.

Why do I feel the need to cry? I thought to myself. That mutt doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't know me at all. I rolled my eyes, thinking about how pathetic I was for letting his words get to me like that.

He's the enemy. There's no reason I should grow attached like how he's thinking. I'm not going to submit and prove that he's right!

I softly sighed as I walked back to the bedroom, momentarily stopping to see the man stare at the ceiling bored. On. My. Bed!

Calm down, it's just a bed HQ rented.

Yeah. I just slept on it for two weeks for my mission I finished before getting captured. The Handler momentarily rented this room for me in this apartment so I could have a place to relax as I get through my recent slow-burn mission.