Chapter 6

My dad read the Westalis newspaper where the headline was: "Ostania Threatens Westalis with Nuclear Warfare!" as me and my siblings played outside

My dad read the Westalis newspaper where the headline was: "Ostania Threatens Westalis with Nuclear Warfare!" as me and my siblings played outside. He was outside on the porch watching us play in the sun. It was springtime, a nice and warm day where there were lots of clouds in the sky that helped with shade. My mom's nowhere to be seen, she's been gone for a while now. She left us when we were young so we didn't have a two income household, it made it hard to pay bills or cook dinners; but it taught me a lot about the real world, so I'm a glad I can see the bright side of it.

I had the rest of the day off from working at the bakery. The lady owning it told me to enjoy myself since things were really starting to look bright for us ever since Westalis and Ostania made that peace pact with us. I agreed, taking my paycheck and running home to go play outside with my siblings.

My two younger brothers both chased my older sister around, playing tag and enjoying their youth. My older brother sat in the background (he wasn't much for socializing with us).

My older sister had a pure heart and loved to spoil me as I was her only little sister. My two younger brothers were both troublemakers that very often got away with stuff (somehow nobody ever looked their way when things went south). My older brother never liked to hang out with us much, but I know he cares about us (he's just in his "I'm independent and don't need no family" phase).

I don't know why, but I decided to look up at the sky that day. Maybe because I wanted to see how long it'd be until sunset, but I found myself looking at something else. The clouds parted a path for a weird yellow thing in the sky. I gawked at it in amazement, before smiling and running to my dad in uneven zig-zags as any child does when they've not properly mastered balancing.

"Dad! Dad!" I called out. "Is that a shooting star?" I questioned, pointing up to the sky.

He looked up at the sky, trying to see what I was talking about before his eyes widened.

"Oh no." He muttered, utter fear in his eyes and voice. "Everyone, get inside now!" he shouted.

I looked at him confused, looking up at the sky in curiosity.

"Why?" I questioned.

"That's a nuke!" he exclaimed, grabbing my arm as everyone ran inside due to his panicked voice.

I quickly squirmed out of his grasp, scared of his sudden change of attitude. I didn't understand what war was; if anything, I thought it was good! Why else would neighboring kids be running around and playing games such as "cops and robbers" or "army"? Why would kids be playing a game that glamorizes the death and suffering of others?

"N-no! I have to make a wish, otherwise it won't come true! That's what sissy said." I spoke, making a dumb excuse.

"We don't have time, come here!" he spoke, lunging for my arm.