FOURTEEN

─────✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦─────

────────── ⋆⋅✦⋅⋆ ──────────

────────── ──────────

WHEN Lando hears the doorbell, he knows almost immediately who it is. Charles had texted him about an hour ago and he chose to leave him on delivered because, frankly, he just didn't want to talk, and he also knew exactly what Charles was going to say to him the second he opens that door.

In simple terms, he knows that he's going to get scolded, like a child who broke his mom's special vase. In a more complicated sense though, he knows that he's going to get yelled at for probably doing the one thing that Charles didn't want him to do—hurt Bianca.

To be fair though, Charles didn't say that directly. He told Lando "don't get her too attached." She's made it abundantly clear that she isn't attached to him in any way, shape, or form, so in a way, he did do what he was told. In fact, he followed directions so well that he forgot about a potential outcome.

Lando ended up getting too attached to her instead.

Three days in Los Angeles, and suddenly his world was flipped upside down. He left his heart back in her apartment and he doesn't know how to get it back, and he's reaping the consequences very, very harshly.

It was stupid, really. He thought that if he had distanced himself from Bianca, his feelings would remove themselves. Truthfully, they got stronger.

He missed laughing in the dead of night on her couch after a long day of sight seeing. He missed the warmth from when she would lay next to him in her guest room's bed as they watched some indie film they'd never heard of before. He missed the smell of her perfume that lingered in the apartment bathroom. Was it eucalyptus? No, it was something citrusy and sweeter. He knows that, because sometimes he still smells it. It lingers, reminiscent of a ghost haunting his home. The phantom smell, according to certain spiritual individuals, is a divine spirit's way of guiding one to love—but why would they ridicule him by guiding him to a love he couldn't have?

The doorbell rings a second time, a third after that. Eventually, it becomes an endless string of dingdingdingdingding. He has no choice now. The last thing Lando could want is to deal with a pissed off friend, on and out of the track.

When Lando opens the door, Charles has a look on his face that could only be described as betrayal. His eyes are slightly squinted, a small scowl barely peeking on his mouth.

Lando was in for a beating, that's for sure.

"What are you doing?" Charles asks, throwing his hands in the air exasperatedly. "What's happening with you and Bianca?"

"Nothing," Lando tries to shake it off. "Just been tired recently, mate. Nothing special."

"Tired enough to not press one button to call Bianca? Or send her a text?" The other man shoots back. "And yet you still respond to our groupchat, and go shopping at the mall?" He adds, shaking his head. "You're lucky she's very understanding. I'm only here because I want to know why you're doing what you're doing. You promised me."