Chapter 2: 5

Owen's POV:"She's nice" Maksim interrupted my train of thought as I watched her walk away

Owen's POV:
"She's nice" Maksim interrupted my train of thought as I watched her walk away. "I guess, we haven't really known her that long" I replied and put my hands in my pockets.

"You've got to be mature now Owen, you're a married man, it's your responsibility to look after her" Alexander's tone became serious as he spoke to me in Russian. He can speak fluent English but he just prefers to speak in one of our mother tongues.

I sighed and looked down at my feet. I don't want to be mature. I'm only 18, I'm meant to be going out with my friends every night, getting drunk and hitting on people I'm never going to meet again.

But instead I've been forced into marrying a complete stranger by my parents. Great, just great. I admit she is beautiful and seems really nice but the point is my years of freedom have been taken away from me just like that. No warning, no heads up, no anything.

My parents lied to me that day. I'm active in the family company as the heir, and basically the only child who offered to take it over, so my dad just told me it was a regular meeting with another family of old money.

I don't meet fellow old money families often, so I was excited to see if we were similar. Their company gave off a different vibe to ours.

It almost felt cold. Like there was no love or ambition, it was weird. What was also weird was the amount of security we brought with us. We're going to a meeting, not to war.

When I asked my dad why we brought so many people he ignored me completely and I didn't ask again. When my father gets like that, he will not answer your question no matter how many times you ask it. That was rather annoying as a kid.

My mom held her signature smile, but it looked bigger than usual which meant she was excited for something. I assumed it was for the same reason I was. My mom's family wasn't one of old money so my dad's family is the only one she's had the chance to meet.

Families of old money very rarely marry out of their own kind, so you can imagine my very Russian and very traditional grandparent's reaction when my dad brought a common German girl home. I heard it was a fight for them to get married but they love her now so I can't imagine that myself.

I'd never been in such an empty board room. The room only held the large table in the middle, the chairs around it and white board that sat in the corner of the room. Minimalistic, interesting.

We sat in that boring room for about 10 minutes before the door was opened and three people walked in. A couple that looked around my parent's age and a girl who looked to be around mine, maybe older, she was shorter than me but looked mature, so it was hard to pinpoint our closeness in age.

My mom was acting weirder than normal. This is the most embarrassing situation I've ever been in. She hugged her. The girl held her hand out to my mom for a handshake and my mother hugged her. I wanted to disappear.