CHAPTER {5}

AKARI

I was back in that state again. This time it wasn't my mother's voice clouding my mind, it was multiple voices. My mother, my rapists, myself. Screaming. Yelling. Throwing profanities at me.

'You're worthless'

It was distracting to say the least. I always went off task and it lead me to get a beating. I've tried getting rid off the voices with pain and anger but they got louder the more I tried to block them out so I stopped.

'PATHETIC'

The voices always caused me to have headaches after I come back into reality. They are harsh and loud. I used to cry, screaming for the voices to go away but they stayed.

'Weak'

I always had a fear of being too weak. I mean, I did train myself to at least throw a punch but I guess it wasn't good enough. At times, I would yell at myself for letting myself get taken advantage of.

'Whore'

Every time I heard someone call me that, I feel less of myself. No one ever listens to the victim's side of the story if the victimizer is a powerful man.

'You were raped because you're a weak, pathetic little slut'

'Everyone knows you self harm for attention because your mommy never gave it to you'

'Your mother didn't take you away from your father, he left you because you were a burden, a disgrace, a disappointment'

'You like blaming your mother for how you are right now but we know it was you'

'It was all you'

'You have a weak mind'

'Weak'

'Weak'

'Weak'

'Weak!'

'WEAK'

I snapped out of my state as I felt a tear roll down my cheek. It was usual for me to cry after being in my state. No matter how much I try to be emotionless my own mind will break my façade in mere seconds.

I did what I normally did, open the windows. There was a story behind it, every morning the smell of blood and weed lingered in the room from last night. Mother didn't like the smell of the two mixed together, so every morning I had to open the windows so that by the time she woke up, there'd be little to no trace of the stench.

I went up the stairs with less struggle this time as I had my crutches. The first thing I noticed was the door to the guest room slightly open. I swear I didn't open that door. I went to go close it but I saw something glistening in the morning sun.

I walked into the room and felt a pain under my foot. I look down and realize I stepped in glass and it was a huge piece. How the hell was I supposed to walk now? There was glass littering the entire room.

The source of the glass was from the windows. That's how he got in. I struggled out of the room to go get some cleaning supplies. I was using my currently wounded leg, the glass digging deeper into my foot.

When I got to the stairs, I took the first step and an immense amount of pain shot through my entire leg. There was too much pain, I winced and I lost my footing.

I tumbled down the stairs, hitting my head multiple times in the process. By the time I had gotten to the bottom, I was already passed out.

~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever wondered what it was like to drown? The violent fight for air as water slowly fills your lungs? I have. I fear drowning. Slowly plunging into the depths of the ocean and not knowing what creatures live there. Not knowing when you're going to be torn to shreds by an ugly sea creature.

But, sometimes I think of it as peaceful. After you've passed out. When the water has filled up your lungs. Floating through the water, free. No anxiety or rage. No sorrows or despair. Just utter peace.

Then it's all ruined by a "hero." The person who will pull you out of the water. Pull you away from your freedom. "Ak..." They don't know that they are bringing you back into misery.

"...ari" They thought they were being a hero when in reality, they're a thief. Stealing freedom. "Akari..." Peace. "Akari," I hear a voice say my name.

I live alone. I jolted awake, punching the person in front of me in the nose. The person lets out a groan and so do I. My head was spinning as I had sat up too quickly.

"Fuck," I hear the person mutter and I look up but I could see properly as my vision was blurred a bit. I blinked a few times before I could actually see. Domenico.

"Oh my...I'm so sorry. I thought you were a-" I stutter out as I saw blood dripping from his hand that was covering his nose and onto the floor. I went to go stand up but he roughly pushes me back down causing me to wince a little.

He shook his head, "No. Sit." He demands and I do as he says. He grabbed some cotton that was in the first aid kit next to him. He had dressed my leg.

"What are you doing here?" I finally said after a few moments of silence. I don't look at him, my eyes glued to the ceiling above me. "I'm here to take you with me." He says putting away the bloodied cotton.

I snapped my head towards him, "No. No, you can't take me away. You said it was my choice." I say as I watched him straighten out from crouched position. He sits next down next to me, by my feet.

"I am not going to argue with you. You're coming with me, whether you like it or not." He says standing up and walking towards the kitchen. It was all my fault. Why did I call him if I didn't want to go? This is what I wanted...right?

He came back with a glass of and handed it to me. I was already sat upright, I mumbled a 'thank you' and gulped down the glass. As soon as I was finished he grabbed the glass, placed it on the coffee table.

"Pack all your stuff. We're leaving in thirty" he commands and leaves, slamming the door behind him. I deeply inhaled and exhaled. I had no choice but to comply.

I took my crutches and went up the stairs, my foot is numb so I'm currently not feeling any pain. Once I got to the top, I went towards my mother's room and took the money. That's the most important thing.

I got to the car and was struggling to open the door with and duffel bag and two non working legs. Domenico got out of the car and kindly helped me in.

Once I was settled, he started the car and we were on our way. "I'm putting your house up for sale, all profits will go to you." He stated and all I could do was sigh.

In a way, I was happy to finally be out of that prison but at the same time I was terrified of being in a new environment. I had no choice but to deal with it, as long I have a stable financial position. I'm going to have to find a job.