CHAPTER {11}

DOMENICO

I've always been asked how I do it? How I take care of five boys, a Mafia business and a legal business. The answer is, I don't even know how I do it.

In reality, I'm slowly going insane. The amount of hours gone without sleep were a cause of that. I tend to drink my problems away, and I always ended up hurting the people I love but it was the only way I could cope.

A habit I inherited from my father. I used to tell myself that I would never be like my father. That I'd never let alcohol come between me and my brothers. But with time I realized why he did what he did.

"Get out." I demanded as I watched Paloma clean the broken glass that was on the floor. I heard shuffling, Paloma finished and left as well, the door shut and I let out a sigh. I go towards the minibar but was stopped by a voice.

"Are you okay?" The voice said, I turned around to see the voice belonged to Akari. "What are you doing there? I said get out." I replied angrily getting frustrated with the lack of alcohol in my system.

She didn't reply, instead she made her way to the couch and sat. She patted the spot next to her. I looked back and forth between her and the bar. I ended up making my way to her and sat next to her.

If it was one of my brothers, I would have taken a bottle and then went to sit but this is Akari, I need to at least build a relationship with her before I prioritize alcohol over it. "I just wanted to tell you that, it's not your fault and that everything is going to be okay. It might take a while but eventually you'll be happy." She says looking at me then to the empty chair in front of her.

"People are after you, Akari. Does that not bother you?" I ask incredulously as a normal person would probably be freaking out. "I'm not bothered at all. I mean, I would have much rather been in that house when it blew up. I have nothing to live for." She said in a monotonous tone.

I looked at her and she looked spaced out. I know she went through something growing up and she has the scars to prove it. "You have us now, Akari." I comforted her in a way. "Do I?" Was all she said before she stood up and left.

She was right to ask that question but one thing I know for sure is that she has me. As the door closed, I stood up and went to the bar and poured myself a shot and gulped it, I was going to pour another one when the door opened.

I took the bottle and glass and went to sit where I was previously sitting and watched as Zachariah poured out the contents of the bag he was carrying. His keys. It was his punishment for going to jail, he didn't really care about the cars but they hold his freedom so that's what I had to take away.

He held a scowl on his face and I found it amusing. "You can get your car keys back after a month." I reminded him and he scoffs and walked out of the room, slamming the door in the process.

I removed my blazer and loosened my tie. I ran a hand through my hair and leaned back into the couch. I remembered the discussion I had last night with Zachariah on why he burnt the school down and he said "#freethekids." And just left. I didn't know if I was to be angry or amused but that was the best reason I've ever heard for an action.

The door opened again and I sat up and watched as Armano took a seat in front of me, "Why am I here? I have places to be." He says leaning back into his chair. "You mean jail." I countered and watched as he sighed and sat up.

"Start from the beginning." I said pouring another shot. "I was sued for domestic violence." Was all he said, "I said from the beginning, not a summary." He groans and continues,

"My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few months, about three. A few days before I was sued, there was a restraining order that her mother placed against me because I was "too violent" ju-" I cut him off, "Don't want to hear the rest of it." I said and watched as his mouth opened in surprise, "But y-" he begins but I cut him off again.

"I'll see all your car keys by my desk at the end of the day." I told him and again watched as his eyes widened, "You can't do that." He yelled, "I was going to give you back your keys after 3 weeks but now it has exceeded to 5 just because of that tone." He scoffs in disbelief and storms out of the room. His reactions were priceless.

I rub my temples as the door opened again. These boys will be the death of me. Alexandros and his whatever sat in front of me. "You wanted to speak to us?" He asks and I don't respond as I stood up and went to the bar, I needed to sober up for this conversation. I grabbed a water bottle and went back to my seat.

I sit and gulp down half the bottle and sighed and leaned into the couch. I took a few deep breaths, "So just to be clear, you're pregnant and you're keeping it?" I ask sitting up straight. "Yes," Alexandros responds and the girl nodded. "What was your name again?" I asked the girl.

"Neiva." She replies and I nod with a hum, finishing the last of my water. I drank so much liquid, I'm going to regret that later. I did the same thing I did before and let the water sink in. "What are going to do about that Alexandros?" I asked and watched as he looked at Neiva and grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers.

"Well, I want to be a present father and I want to be financially supportive and I can't do just with your allowance, so after a lot of thinking, we decided that Neiva should quit her job at the bank and I will replace her and you can give her allowance." He suggests and I took another deep breath.

"I agree that is a smart plan and just because you're carrying my niece or nephew, doesn't mean I trust or like you but you're family now so, welcome to the family." I say and I wave them out and they immediately go out.

I was slowly getting drowsy and I was ready to let sleep take me but the door opened again. I groaned loudly, opening my eyes as I felt the space beside me dip and I looked over to see Zachary.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. "I have some bad news." He answered opening up his laptop and showing me what was on it. She hasn't even been here for a week and she's already in trouble, and how did they even get a picture of her?

"They placed a bounty on Akari."

~~~~~

AKARI

I stared at myself in the full body mirror that was in my closet. I was currently just in a bra and underwear. I squeezed the fat on my stomach. I sighed and I thought back to Neiva's body. She was everything I wanted to be, she was happier, prettier and had a great body.

I looked at all the scars covering my body. I was disgusting. Whip marks, stab wounds, burn marks, you name it, I have it. One of the reasons I disliked my mother was that, she'd go on about how no would want a scarred bitch like me but she was the one who did this to me. She was the one that scarred me.

She'd call me a whore when she was the one showcasing me for all those men. Humiliating me by making me walk around the house naked to "tease" the men. She broke me. She made me this way and she gets to insult me.

I made my way to the bathroom and I suddenly hit by a wave of nausea. I rushed over to the toilet and began to vomit. The most painful wave of nausea. The downside of starving yourself. Vomiting nothing. It was my way of losing more weight. Though it hurt the results were pleasurable.

I finished and I stood up and went to the mirror. I hated how much I looked like her even after all the drugs and alcohol, we looked exactly the same except she was far more skinnier and prettier than I was.

During her last days, when I cleaned the house, I'd hear her crying, one day after breakfast, I heard her vomiting as well. If she was to catch me in that state, she'd call me a weak bitch.

It hurt because when I went to comfort her, I knew she wouldn't accept it. I even got a beating from it. I tried because I know what she was going through. I knew no one should have to deal with that alone or you'll end up just like me. Damaged.

I was alone but she wasn't. Believe me, I hated her with every fiber of my being but if there was a sign of her turning out like me, I didn't care about the hatred. Though I hated my mother, I cared for her.