chapter 29

After being injured and hospitalized for a few weeks, I began my physical therapy to relearn how to move my shoulder and what-not. It was truly agonizingly painful but having them at my side made the experience worthwhile.

Yet I often found myself feeling like a fool for having such a small heart to me. My mother took away everything from me, and I couldn't deal with that so I naturally lived in survival mode for most of my life, but now? Now I can get off of autopilot. I can start over. I can do it right this time. It isn't over, because there is hope for me -- I can have a future here. I can live like a normal teenager now... but why does it feel like that is a lie?

"Alina!" a voice hummed and I let go of the handle bar I was holding onto and fell to the ground. "Oh, sorry, did I distract you?"

"Well, typically when someone yells your name you lose focus so, yeah."

I turned around and it was Colton. My sweet Colton.

"Sorry, sorry." he spoke gently. "I brought your bag of requested pajamas. Polly couldn't make it because she was busy doing something with Olive and Oliver."

He continued talking but all I could think about was the fact that he stayed this long and took care of me. He has been my friend for so long, and he hasn't ever given up on me and that's something beautiful. To have a friendship so meaningful, so pure, is something I never expected to happen to me.

"Doctor, coming in," a voice called out as they knocked on the door then opened the door. It was a male doctor with black hair and glasses that were leaning down his nose. He looked so familiar. "Hello, Miss Alina-"He looked up at me with fear in his eyes as if I killed his dog or something.

"Yes, that's me."

Colton took a seat next to me. He tilted his head ever so slightly as if he was as confused as I was as to why this random man is looking at me so fearfully. "I'm sorry, do I know you, sir?" I asked. He did look so familiar...

"Yes, I was your doctor when you were younger. Celeste and Gold treated you and I assisted."

He held his iPad close to his chest as he approached the bench where I was sitting in front of the rails I had just been balancing on. The names seemed so .. familiar to me. "You don't remember?" I shook my head and he looked slightly agitated. "I'm sorry sir, could you leave for a moment. I need to talk to my patient in private."

Colton looked at me worriedly, then exited the room.

"How's your body feeling today?" the doctor asks me, his voice slightly trembling as if I had done something traumatizing to him. And then it hits me.

"You... you treated me that day," my voice hitched slightly. "You were there."

He looks up at me and forces a smile. "I did."

And then suddenly every memory from that day is fogging my vision, my brain, my heart. The look in his eyes that day was something I could never entirely forget with how they went dull the moment he realized what I had done. His voice quivering as he uttered medical terminology to me.

"How's ... Celestial and Gold...?"

He checks my leg then stands up. "You killed her. It's rude to ask that, no?"

"What-"

Colton enters the room with a slice of cake in his hands and a party hat dangling from his arm. His smile wide and contagious. "Happy Birthday!"

Happy birthday.

It's my birthday?

I didn't know.

Olive and Oliver walk in behind him and they each have a party hat on their heads that I can't help but laugh at because I'm sure Colton made them wear one for me. They walk over and the doctor smiles then gives me a thumbs up, exiting the room to talk to Polly who stood in the hallway.

"Happy Birthday, 'Lina!" Olive says, throwing her arms around me and kissing my cheek. "Happy birthday, Alina." Oliver says, with a small smile.

In that moment, my life was so beautiful. My friends remembering a day I forgot about was a moment in my life I will always cherish and hold dear to my heart, and I hope they always know how much I adore them. They are my diamonds. My anchors.

Colton holds the cake out to me, lighting the candle on top of it, smiling, and then tells me to make a wish. I look at him, and without thinking I ask:

"Can... I kiss you?"