Arc 2: beginning Chapter 7

She had grown gradually more stable mentally and emotionally throughout the years on her own without the support of human society. Alina hadn't spent much of her independent years worrying about what others' impressions were of her and that seemed to be what led the child to the path she is on now; the path of pure hostility and anger.

After the massacre at the hospital where they stationed her at until she lost her mind, Alina was sent off to live with a loving family for once in the girl's life. They treated the neglected child with love and support and kindness, but they never reached her heart. They showered her in cute, frilly dresses and even showered her in affection but she never reacted gratefully.

"Hunny, I don't know what to do anymore. I understand that she was brought up in a very abusive home, but she won't even smile at us!" The mother would say to her clearly defiant and hopeful husband, who would always respond with:

"Polly, I know that, but you need to understand how the girl must feel. She probably doesn't trust us because we are her adopted parents. Think about what the lady at the adoption office told us: Alina wasn't granted the opportunity to be happy or be loved so she can't comprehend the feeling."

It was pure sadness that made him have faith in Alina. He had his motives for trying to understand how she felt, but he was completely incorrect and to say such things without actually knowing the truth was a mere speculation.

"Dan, if she were to kill someone would you still defend and love her?"

Alina overheard their conversation and perked her ears up questioningly along with her eyebrows which drew up in a manner that only seemed critical to look at for it struck the heart as adorable.

He hesitated before smiling and kneeling down and ruffling Alina's messy hair.

"Yes, I most definitely would still love her." He said with pure affection but deep down, Alina knew that he was fearful. He was fearful of her past. He was fearful of what this one simple sentence could spike inside of her and if it have her motivation; news flash it most definitely did.

Polly smiled and leaned on the doorframe that supported her small and thin frame. She had her arms criss-crossed as she awaited her husband to finally be done with his sentimental moment with their adopted daughter that brought speculation to her. Polly observed Alina's behavior and she made sure to note down any sort of strange behavior in the kid. As you can tell, Polly didn't trust Alina after hearing what she did. To be honest... Polly didn't even believe Alina should be alive after the crime committed and the homicides she did, but she was a kid so she had empathy for her. She was still human, after all.

"Okay, pumpkin, ready for bed?" Daniel said as he lifted the small girl from her feet to where her legs were dangling there.

"Yes." was the reply received from Alina along with a blank expression. It was obvious by this point that she no longer felt exaggeration or excitement and had returned to being plain and boring in her responses.

It was just the start of her new beginning.