Chapter 12

Alina confided in Colton, she trusted him as the years rolled by them like the syrup that rolled out of the container and onto the morning pancakes Polly prepared everyday. Time ran its course quicker than anyone could ever anticipate and for a moment, even if that moment only lasted her a second, Alina felt a hint of love towards her best friend. It was a forbidden romance like the tragic tale of Romeo and Juliet—a three day romance between a Montague and a Capulet, a forbidden one that was banned for the sake of each family because of a feud left unsolved, left un-compromised. It's relatable to this tragic tale, a fourteen year old girl who has failed to feel the romantic feeling of lust and has banned herself from ever loving someone, yet somehow the feeling creeps into her bones and comforts her at night.

In truth, she felt fearful.

She feared ever loving someone because in truth she was never taught how to love. She was never shown love. So how could a girl left unloved ever know how to demonstrate such an emotion? That's it. She can't.

Although she craves it, she can't risk the cons of falling in love with her best friend.

Just as Alina began to drown in her own thoughts, a familiar face came tumbling into her bed and tackling her.

"Alina!"

"Colt..?" She rubbed her eyes of the sleepiness and ruffled his hair. "What are you doing in my house?"

"I let the boy in. He was banging on the door like a maniac demanding for you."

She turned her head and released the silver haired boy from her grip to see Polly in the doorway of her room.

"Mom?"

Polly threw Colton a dirty glance and crossed her arms. "Mind explaining why Olivia just called screaming and demanding where her kid is at?"

Olivia...?

Why does that name sound familiar?

"Eh? The old lady can suck my pp for all I care. She never cared 'bout me, now did she? You know about her tendencies, Mrs. Washington."

Alina looked at Polly confusingly, she didn't know what her friend was spewing about but Polly apparently knew.

"Alina, Colton, Olivia is a troubled woman. I would know because I used to be best friends with her since elementary school all the way until she had your brother, Joey. Alina, she has a similar story as yours, but hers was... less gruesome and you had it completely worse. What I'm trying to say is she was abused by her family but only behind closed doors. So don't be so harsh on her, okay?"

Colton looked at Alina but she adverted her eyes away from him. She didn't want to have to relive her old life that she left behind her nor did she wish to re-explain the tragedy of everything over again to someone who will eventually find out on their own.

"Oh dear—I'm sorry Alina I didn't know you didn't tell the boy I shouldn't have as-"

"It's fine, Mom. He would've found out anyway, because that's who he is. It was just a matter of time."

The fourteen year old girl was on her quest of completely leaving everything behind her and forgetting it all, however there are instances in which she finds herself scratching and tearing at the skin on her arms or legs out of mere psychological tormenting pain of the thoughts coursing through her brain. The more she was given the time to think back on that instance the more pain that was inflicted upon her heart and mind.

"Alina what was your original mom's name?" Colton pressed.

She looked up, instantly being snapped out of the trance she was in.