Day 3

You're 17 years old when someone breaks your heart. Since you now officially live with your uncle, you've started to make Sioux Falls your home and Bobby your family. The process, of course, required you to enroll in high school. You whined to him, obviously, that school was unnecessary for a future hunter like you, but he had none of it and your school experience in South Dakota began. With it, you met him; Roman. He was handsome and smooth-mannered, every girl's dream and every parent's nightmare. Long story short: you fell deep, and he broke you. It had been a superficial relationship, a school romance, but it hurt, and your best friend Dean was there to hear all about it.

"I'm telling you," his voice is soft through the phone's speaker, "it was the right call that you didn't say anything about your family. Dude wasn't worth it."

"Ugh, don't even remind me, what was I thinking? What was I going to say?" In a mocking tone, you add, "hey, I come from a family of monster hunters, my father killed himself and my mother became a drunk that can't even pay attention to her daughter, so now I live with someone else!" You chuckle humorlessly, "what a joke, no wonder he ended it, who wants a fucking mess?"

Dean's voice hardens on the other line, "hey! hey! Don't say that. It's his loss, he's the one who screwed up."

"And yet, I'm the one with the broken heart." Dean starts to protest on the other end of the line, but you really don't want to hear it. "Let's just talk about something else. Are you really not coming this Christmas."

It's the morning before the 25th, he's clearly not coming, so you're really not surprised when he answers. "No, dad has a case in here in Santa Fe, and he isn't done. Sammy and I will be spending the holidays eating frozen turkey meals in the motel..." The conversation progresses for the rest of the hour, and for a little while, you forget about your broken heart.