Coffee Dates

My ex took me on many coffee dates. He liked caffein almost as much as my best friend did. We dated in high school. People called us the 'IT COUPLE' of the school. The star athlete and the popular theatre kid.

He had this golden retriever energy that attracted me. I had black cat energy which he said was "something you should work on in public, you know I love you bae, but you really gotta fix that attitude in public"

I took that to heart.

He was kind, always looking out for me, always being nice to me. Maybe that's why I fell in love.

I ordered an iced coffee, yes it's cold, but that won't stop me. Sun-oh, Sunny, as I began calling him, ordered a caramel macchiato, it fits him.

"Wow this is great, I love coffee after a jog, hits the spot" I laughed, he seemed so excited for coffee.

"Yeah, I love coffee too, so when did you move to Paris?"

"I moved here like a month ago" I'm shocked at this. His French is good.

"Eh? I'm surprised, you're French is good, though the accent is there." He laughed "I didn't  know I had one, that's so embarrassing"

"Ah I'm sorry, it's nice, you're accent is cute" he stopped laughing and just stared at me with a smile. I smiled too, it was contagious.

"A compliment from a pretty girl is worth a lot, thanks" if it was a cheesy rom com anime, I would blush.

No one really compliments me on my looks. I get compliments for my work, my quietness, my abilities, but never my looks. So I just stare at him, not sure how to respond. Usually I'd say thanks I try, but being in a puffer jacket and sweatpants, it wouldn't fit so I just laugh.

"Sooo," he starts, "any interesting cases you're working on?" I think, would he be interested?

"Well I got a new case today, we'll yesterday actually, basically I'm working with Ross Sports to get a foreign player to play for their company, I'm in charge of negotiating the price down from 16 million to 9, I'm excited" I laughed at the situation.

I look down at my coffee. I don't want to see his bored expression.

"Whattttt, that's so cool Lana. It's like totally my dream to sign under Ross, I love football." I look up to see Sunny's happy face. I feel the corners of my mouth turning up.

"I love football too. It's so awesome! I played but Daddy didn't let me go pro. I still loved it though, I'd always be the MVP" he looked shocked. Shit, was I too out of character? Did I boast?

"Well I think we should play together, it's too early now so let's play tomorrow, ok!"

What.

Usually men would tell me that it's unfeminine, that I should do volleyball instead. My daddy, my brothers, my ex, all of them. So why did he support my love for the sport?

"Ok." I said, the only propriety response for his offer. I think I met my soulmate.

Last year, my Mama told me "I knew your father was my soulmate when he picked up a guitar and told me to sing my favourite song about love."

I took that to heart.

Facts

>Lana hasn't gone to the coffee shop with anyone since she broke up with her ex.

>Sun-oh loved that she called him Sunny.

>Sun-oh admired her Lana a lot when she said she loved football, he could listen to her talk about her dreams all night long.

>I might write a sequel based on Lana's parents, it would be pure angst tho so lmk if you guys want it.

>what do you think about the family so far?