The Fire Swamp

"Dad!" Tulin groaned, as Teba couldn't help but laugh.

"Alright, alright, keep your blanket on," he told his son, flipping the page and continuing.

"Zelda and Link continued onwards, the eerie and notorious Fire Swamp just up ahead," he read.

The swamp appeared like a massive, gloomy wall of trees before them. A clear warning for any foolish adventurer to stay far, far away from it.

"There, up ahead, we'll just make it through the Fire Swamp and all will be well," Link told Zelda, his hand in hers and her hand in his.

"The Fire Swamp? Oh, Hylia, we'll never survive..." the princess replied anxiously.

"Nonsense," Link reassured her, "you're only saying that because no one ever has."

***

Just as expected, the swamp was dreary and miserable looking. Most of the gray-barked trees were overgrown, their branches tangling with those of other trees and creating obstacles for Link to cut through.

With one skillful swing, he sliced through a good three of the meddlesome vines that blocked their path.

Zelda held tight to his hand, The thought of losing him in a place like this was terrifying to imagine.

"...Not bad..." Link said, looking around at the gloomy surrounding.

The princess turned to him, a confused look on her face, and Link turned to her as well.

"Well, the atmosphere is a little depressing, but the trees are actually quite lovely," he explained, moving forward while Zelda continued to eye him.

They trudged over the rocks, fallen branches and decaying leaves that crunched beneath their boots.

All of a sudden, the pair heard a strange rumbling noise that seemed to be coming from under the ground.

Almost as suddenly as the rumbling came, a tall pillar of fire sprung from a tiny, unnoticed hole in the earth. Acting quickly, Link pulled his princess out of the way.

But unfortunately, he wasn't fast enough, because the fringe of the princess's red gown burst into flames.

Zelda, not knowing what to do, began to yelp, and her Link knelt down in front of her, grabbing two opposite ends of her dress and rubbing the small ember out.

Thankfully, her gown was only mildly singed, and she breathed out a shuddering sigh of relief.

Link flashed her a reassuring smile and stood up, pulling her in for a hug and patting her on the back as she tried calming herself down.

"You're alright," he said softly, "let's keep going."

The princess nodded to him, knowing that the two of them needed to remain close if they were to make it out of the woods alive.

They moved onward. Thick vines hung low off the trees and blocked their path, causing Link to withdraw his sword once more and slice through them.

"So..." Zelda began, watching as her masked rescuer sliced through a particularly nasty vine. "How did you ever find yourself on a pirate ship?"

Link carefully led her through another small patch of ground, deftly lifting her off the ground and shifting to the side when he heard the familiar rumbling sound.