Chapter thirty-five

Valentine's feet touched the grass lightly; the cool, green leaves brushing against her toes.
She inhaled sharply, her senses overwhelmed by the heavy fragrance of the flowers and blooming plants that filled the air.
The soft breeze ruffled her wild and coily curls. It also blew the skirt of her dress, its fabric brushing against her smooth legs.
She wanted to be alone and think about what happened, why she felt the way she did.

The gardens were gorgeous and well-kept, and for a second Valentine found herself wishing she could stay here forever.
She sat down on the grass, closing her eyes as she let herself fall on her back, lying on the green grass. She cradled her stomach with a smile. Her baby kicked.

The air was filled with the sounds of birds.
the chirp of baby birds begging for their parents, the calls of adults in search of mates and friends.
A light breeze filled the air with the fresh smell of sweet blooms in the direction of Valentine.

But it all quickly stopped all of a sudden. It made the pregnant woman frown confused. A cast of shadow replaced the warmth and light.

"Where'd the sun go?" Valentine questioned herself.

Valentine opened her eyes, looking up at a woman she had never met.

The woman stared down curiously at Valentine as she held out her black umbrella made from satin.
It was clear she used the umbrella for protection from the sun.

Her blood-dark red hair fell about her head in long waves, caressing her perfect pale skin as she looked down at Valentine.
It was the color of the crimson of fresh spilled wine, which matched her dark scarlet lips.

Her dress, crafted of silk as black as a starless night, shimmered with every movement, making her look like a moving shadow. Her sharp dark eyes were like pools of darkest obsidian, drawing Valentine in as she stared up at her, completely captivated.
She looked like she'd walked out of a painting, a work of art come to life.

It made Valentine's heart pound quickly.
Who was she?

The pregnant woman immediately sat up straight. Valentine didn't want any trouble. She only came to get her mind off of things. Or well someone. To be completely specific two men.

"I-I- don't want any trouble.." Valentine immediately started, cringing when she heard herself stuttering. Way to show her I'm not intimidated, Valentine scolded herself.

The red-haired woman quirked up her dark and thick but perfect eyebrow at the pregnant woman. She showed off a smile that was meant to be welcoming but instead came off looking quite intimidating.
A sharp and bitter wind blew between the two women, causing the redhead's long dress to slightly lift where the deep slit was located. The dress lifted just enough so Valentine could notice a knife strapped to the woman's slender thigh.

A gasp left Valentine's mouth. "W-who are you?" she asked, her hand engulfing around her swollen belly.

The redhead noticed and immediately held her hands out in defense as if to show her she was going to hurt Valentine.

"I'm Red," the woman spoke softly, looking down at Valentine still. "I'm one of River's sisters."

Looking at Red from closer up, there was a twinkle in Valentine's eyes. She recognized her from the painting. Even though she appeared much younger on there, just like anyone did.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" Valentine stood up, dusting off her clothes immediately. She wanted to give off a good first impression.

"I'm-," Valentine started off but she was quickly interrupted by Red who nodded.