Right Where You Left Me 💔

This will mention death so if you aren't comfortable don't read this

You don't know how it happened. It was all so sudden. She was perfectly fine one day, playing guitar for you, drinking her tea, and giving you all her love with that breathtaking smile on her face. Then the next, you were forced to watch as the only thing keeping her alive was a machine, knowing that you'll probably never see that smile again.

It's been nearly six months, and you haven't left her bedside, only to eat, shower, and the occasional visit to the house. But those are becoming more and more rare because everything there reminds you of Taylor when she was healthy, and it makes your heart hurt because she's never going to be like that again.

But you've spent most of your time on the chair beside her bed, holding her hand, crying, and talking to her as if she were still awake and healthy. You never thought something like this would happen, you thought she would always be around. You thought you would always have her.

You know Taylor wouldn't want this, but you can't let go. No matter what anyone is saying, you can't say goodbye. You just can't yet, it hurts too much. You can't bear the thought of never seeing or touching Taylor again, even if she's brain-dead and unresponsive in a hospital bed. Some are calling you selfish, but you just can't.

You're sitting in the same chair you have been, holding on tightly to her hand like always when you hear the door open. In walks Taylor's doctor and Andrea, she isn't doing well either, but she holds herself together around you knowing you wouldn't be able to handle it. You don't allow yourself to get your hopes up when you see the sadness in both of their eyes.

"So...is she getting any better?"
You lower your gaze, you know the answer to that, but you can't stop yourself from asking for the small chance that maybe, just maybe, she might start improving. Despite knowing she's not, your heart crumbles when the doctor doesn't speak and Andrea sits in the chair beside you with a heavy sigh.

Your grip gets tighter on Taylor's hand as you feel Andrea's comforting hand on your back, the tears springing into your eyes. You have had this conversation once before, and you know what to expect. But it feels a little too real this time around. Andrea sighs heavily again, trying to keep herself in check.

"No sweetie, she's not. She's getting worse. Her brain isn't responding anymore, her body is shutting down. She needs to be let go, it's time."

Andrea speaks to you softly, despite the immense feeling of devastation she feels knowing her baby is suffering like this, and that she's even having this conversation with you.

You immediately shake your head, a few tears falling down your cheeks. The doctor steps closer to you, he puts a hand on your shoulder.
His voice is sympathetic as he begins to explain to you what's happening with Taylor.

"Taylor's organs are failing, they are shutting down. Her kidneys, her lungs, liver, and even her heart are starting to go because her brain is dead. All this life support is doing is keeping her heart pumping, it's just delaying what's inevitable."
He pauses, sighing as he watches you start to cry. Andrea takes your other hand, finishing off his thought.

"Honey, Taylor's dying. She's in pain. You don't want her suffering like this. It's her time to rest."
Andrea can hardly finish her words before the tears fill her eyes, this is the last thing she wants to say, but she knows it's what needs to happen. You let out a soft sob and bring Taylor's hand to your lips.

"I-I don't want her hurting but- it's too hard."
You say, your tears making it hard to understand. Andrea nods and wraps her arm around you, she's crying now, but not nearly as much as she wants to be. She pulls you closer to her, rubbing your shoulder. The doctor watching with sad eyes, that's what you like about him, he actually treats you like a person and not just a name.

"I know you don't, I know it's hard, and I know you love her so much. But I also know that she loves you just as much, if not more. She's not going to get better, she's..."
Andrea can't say it, she wipes her cheek but it doesn't stop the tears. You start to sob, trembling softly. You know she's right, Taylor's not getting better, she never will. It's time.

"Can I at least say goodbye?"
You manage between your tears. You're not asking, you're begging. The doctor nods and pats your shoulder, while Andrea stands up and walks over to Taylor's bedside. She leans forward, kisses Taylor's forehead, and whispers something into her ear while crying. She quickly turns out of the room, not being able to keep it together anymore.

The doctor leaves close behind, telling you to take all the time you need. You get off the chair and sit on the edge of the bed instead. Taylor looks so peaceful as if she's only sleeping, but you know she isn't. You lean forward and wrap your arms around her body, burying your face in her shoulder as you start to sob.

"Tay....I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you. I love you. I'm sorry."
You keep whispering the same two phrases to her, but what hurts you even more is knowing she can't hear you. You try to imagine that she hugs you back, plays with your hair, and tells you everything is okay, but you can't. It feels wrong.

You don't know how much time passes, maybe you even fall asleep, but the next thing you know the doctor, Andrea, Scott, and Austin are all in the room surrounding the bed. You aren't moving from your spot, and nobody's forcing you. After some time, you nod to the doctor, letting him know that you are ready to let go. Even though it will be the hardest thing you ever have to do.

He nods back and takes the small tube out of her mouth. You start crying again and you rest your head back against her shoulder. You don't know how you're even crying anymore. Everyone else is crying too as the numbers on the monitor start getting lower and lower until they stop and the sound you've been dreading fills the room.

You keep whispering to her that you're sorry and that you love her more than anything, you brush the hair out of her face. You want to give the rest of them some time with her, so you kiss her forehead, tell her you'll never forget her, and get up to leave the room. The tears continue to stream down your face.

I deeply apologize 🙏
(I am not really sorry)