Chapter 4:

"I don't know why this happened, but we are going to figure out who did it and put a stop to it. We're not going to let anything happen to you, everything is going to be fine." Sarah replied as she pulled her in for a hug and rubbed her back. There was definitely something going on and she didn't like it. But she would never let anyone hurt Lucinda. No matter what it took.

Lucinda's head jerked up as she heard a car door slam. Not even a second later Damon came rushing in the door and pulled her to him in a tight and warm embrace.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly as she buried her face into his neck.

"I'm..I'm fine. Just a little shaken up, Sarah hasn't left my side since she got here. I just don't understand what's going on." She said as she hugged him tighter. Every nerve of her body was tingling having him this close to her. She felt an overwhelming feeling of safety that enveloped her and calmed her.

"It's going to be okay. We will figure out what's going on, I promise. I won't let anything happen to you." He said hugging her tighter, and she knew that he meant it.

"Sarah, can I speak to you outside for a minute. Maybe there is something you missed when searching the area." He said with a stern voice.

Sarah gave a nod and they headed out the front door, closing it behind them. Lucinda headed into the kitchen and grabbed a cup of coffee while waiting for them to return.

Outside Damon and Sarah searched the area, and that's when Sarah showed him what she had found. There on the ground not 5ft from the front and back door there was urine. A rogue had been here, and they had marked the territory.

"This isn't good. Has there been any breaches to our borders?" Damon asked Sarah as he opened the link to his guards at the borders and asked them as well.

"No sir. There haven't been any sightings of any rogue activity in months. Not even a scent." Sarah and the guards replied.

"Something is off here. I can smell the scent but its not rogue. Its not any of our pack members either. Its so faint now I can barely pick it up. This doesn't make sense." Damon said to Sarah as he paced back and forth.

"I don't understand it either. I picked up a scent when I got here but I haven't been able to place it. There was definitely another wolf here though, the tracks and urine markings prove that. What are we supposed to tell her?" Sarah nodded back towards the house.

"Nothing, we don't tell her anything. She doesn't know about us, what we are. I have been searching for her my entire life, I don't want to scare her off. Whatever this is, whoever has been here, we will find them. When we do, I will be the one to question them and figure out what they want and why they are sniffing around my mate." Damon growled out. This wasn't your average rogue. They can't hide their scent, and there's no way they got past his borders without him knowing. A rogue's scent is undeniable, it smells of rotting flesh and death. This scent was different, it wasn't as strong, but it didn't smell of death. It had him stumped and that worried him even more.

"So how do you want to handle this alpha?" Sarah asked as she watched Lucinda pace back and forth in the window.

"She can't be left alone. Not until we know what is going on and who has been sniffing around her."

"Agreed, but she isn't going to let anyone stay and watch over her like a child. She may not seem like it at first, but she's a strong one and about as stubborn as they come. She's terrified right now but that wont last long." Sarah replied with a smile and shake of her head. Her friend was a tough one, she had been through a lot in her life and over it all. She would be a perfect match for her alpha, they would challenge each other in a way they needed. She smiled to herself before following her alpha back into the house.

"So, what's the verdict?" Lucinda asked as they walked in and shut the door behind them.

They both looked at each other then to her. She could see in their eyes that they knew something, she was just waiting on them to tell her what exactly it is that they found.

"Right now, we are going to have some of the guys come over from the house and work on changing your locks. That will solve the spare key issue. I would feel better if you weren't alone here all the time. I know you had work today, are you going in late, or did you take the day off?" Damon asked with a softness in his voice, like he was talking to a child. She didn't like that; she wasn't a child.

"I will be fine. I don't need someone to be with me all of the time. I am not a child. Something happened, it freaked me out and had me shook up, but now I'm fine. I just need to figure out who is doing this and why." She said with a annoyed voice. She wasn't some fragile flower that needed shielding.

"We know you're not a child but remember how frightened you were when you called me. You said you didn't feel comfortable being alone here. I can stay during the night or Damon can stay to watch over you and make sure no one comes in." Sarah said as she rolled her eyes and tried to remind her friend of how scared she was earlier, hoping she would stop being stubborn and agree to let someone stay.

"I know how scared I was, but I was just in shock that someone would come here. I am fine now; I have calmed myself down." She knew better though; it wasn't her that calmed herself down but Damon being so close that made her feel safe. She wouldn't tell him that though. She never relied on anyone, and she wasn't about to start now.

Sarah shook her head at her friend. She knew this was going to happen, they should've had this conversation with her when she was still too shaken up to disagree or fight them on it. She was just worried about her alpha and how he was going to react about it. Mates aren't known for leaving their mate to defend for themselves. There's a sense of overprotectiveness that takes over the second they find their fated mate. With him being a alpha that overprotectiveness would be 10 times worse.

"You don't need to be alone. Someone will stay and watch over the place until its safe for you." He said in his alpha voice. No wolf or human could resist a alphas command. She felt her wolf shiver at the command. Luce wouldn't be able to fight it no matter how much she wanted too, and what's worse is she wouldn't understand why.

"Luce, we are just trying to look out for you." Sarah said as she looked between her alpha and her friend.

"I know, and I appreciate that. But I don't need a babysitter. I will be fine on my own. And YOU!" she said pointing her finger and Damon with a pissed off look on her face. "YOU will NOT tell me what I will and will not do. I've known you all of 2 minutes and you think you can tell me what to do? I don't think so, if you don't like it you can leave."

They both looked at her shocked written across their faces. How is this possible? How can she deny his command? Sarah couldn't believe what she was hearing and seeing. Her friend stood her ground, teeth clenched and face red in anger. She had seen her mad before but this, this was a level of pissed off that she had never seen with her. She turned to look at her alpha and saw his face begin to turn red in anger, she grabbed his shoulder and when he turned to look at her, she shook her head.

He closed his eyes, clenched his fists tightly and gave a long sigh before looking back up at Lucinda. You could see that he was struggling with this and fighting his wolf not to make her obey his command.

"Fine. But you call one of us anytime you even suspect anything is going on or someone is outside. I don't care if its just a feeling, you call one of us." He said in a stern voice.

Luce looked him over. It was clear he wasn't going to let this go, and while part of her wanted to give in to him and let him stay, there was a bigger part of her screaming that she didn't need him to protect her because she could do it herself. Given the options she decided to give a little and agree to calling. The whisper in the back of her mind told her she was proud of her for standing her ground before disappearing completely.