Chapter 8

It takes a month for Julia to feel comfortable enough with sending Ellie home. "No hunts," she states to Thomas.

"I know," Thomas answers, "Thanks Julia. I'll call you if she worsens again."

"You'd better."

He carries Ellie out of the building to their car. Once they've arrived at their home, Thomas gently picks her up to carry her inside. "T...Thomas, I can walk," she protests softly.

"No," he states, "you'll tire yourself out."

When he enters the penthouse, the kids scurry up to him. "Did you bring mama too?" Gray asks.

"Yes," Thomas answers, "she's right here." He carries her to the living room and carefully places her on the couch.

"Mama?" Lily asks, "Are you feeling better?"

"Y...yes, I'm feeling better," Ellie responds quietly.

"Isn't that good?" Lilac asks.

"Yes, baby, it is," Ellie says, "I still tired out much faster than normal though,"

"That's okay, mama," Gray reassures her, "at least you're home now."

"Yes, I suppose you're right," Ellie says as she reaches out and strokes his hair, "I missed you guys."

"We missed you too, mama!" Lily and Lilac answer enthusiastically.

Ellie smiles tiredly at her children. "Ellie?" Thomas asks, sounding worried, "Are you tired?"

"Y...yes," Ellie mumbles.

"Rest, the kids will be here when you wake up."

"O...okay." She closes her eyes and quickly falls asleep.

The kids turn and face Thomas. "Uncle Thomas?" Gray asks, "Is mama really better?"

"Yes," Thomas answers, "but she's only well enough to be at home. She can't go back to work yet."

"Uncle Thomas?" Lily asks, "Does that mean you and daddy will go out now?"

"Yes, as long as your mother stays well enough."

"Will Aunt Marie be here too?" Lilac asks.

"Yes, your Aunt Marie and your grandma are going to stay with you and your mama while your dad and I are working."

"Yay!" the children yell.

"Shh!" Thomas gently reminds them, "Your mother is sleeping."

"Sorry Uncle Thomas," the children whisper.