Chapter 12

Marie comes barreling into Ellie's hospital room. "Thomas!" she scolds him quietly, "What'd she go and do now?"

"There was an incident with an Unseelie King..."

"Didn't you kill him already?"

"Different one at the hospital..."

"Is she okay?"

"I don't know. Julia just told me that she used too much magic again."

Marie rolls her eyes. "That sounds like her, not listening to anyone, even though her health is already declining."

"Yes," Thomas softly says, "but if she hadn't this whole hospital would've been destroyed."

"I know. I hope the consequences for her aren't too bad."

"Me too. Do you mind staying with her for a while?"

"Why?" Marie cocks her eyebrow at him.

"I need to get rid of the Unseelie King's body. He's in the back of our car right now."

"Ah, yes, go on then. Don't take too long."

"I won't. Call me if Ellie does something that worries you." He leaves the room.

Marie sits next to Ellie. "You dummy," she whispers to her best friend, "you really ought to put you and your health first for once."

Two hours later, Thomas returns. "Sorry, Marie," he says once he's in the room, "That took a lot longer than I thought it would."

It's okay," Marie answers.

"Is she..."

"She's still asleep."

Thomas looks relieved. "Her fever is worse than it was."

"I know. Of course it is. She strained herself when she wasn't supposed to."

"I hope Julia can keep it under control."

"You and everybody else."