Epilogue

It takes three and a half months for Ellie to be released from the hospital, "Now, Ellie," Julia says while filling out discharge papers, "I'm letting you go home, but you are not going into the field until I clear you, got it?"

"I g...got it," Ellie whispers.

"Thomas, make sure she behaves."

"I will," Thomas answers, "come on Ellie, let's go home." He gently lifts her up and carries her to their car. Once they're home, he carries her to their penthouse on the top floor of the building.

They enter the penthouse and the children swarm around them. "Mama!" Violet yells.

"Hi, baby," Ellie murmurs quietly.

"Are you feeling better, mama?" Gray asks.

"Y...yes, much b...better."

Thomas carries her to the living room where he sits her on the couch. "Rest," he says, "you'll recover faster the more you do."

She nods at him. The children watch her anxiously. "Uncle Thomas?" Lily asks.

"What is it?" Thomas answers.

"Is mama better? She won't have to go to the hospital again?"

"She's better," Thomas replies, "I can't promise she won't have to go back to the hospital though."

The children look disappointed. "I...I'm s...s...sorry," Ellie whispers.

"It's okay, mama," Lilac reassures her, "Not your fault." The other children murmur in agreement.

The next two months, Thomas makes sure that Ellie focuses on recovering. By the end of the second month Julia finally clears her to work again.

A few days later, Thomas gets a call from Kara about a rampaging cow-like monster. "What do you mean a cow monster?" Thomas asks her, "Uh huh, yeah I'm gonna have to get back to you. Yeah, I'll ask Ellie and then we'll stop by the station. Yeah, Julia cleared her a few days ago. Okay, see you soon." Thomas puts his phone back in his pocket and yells for Ellie, who comes running into the room.

"Thomas," she shouts at him, "what's wrong?"

"Kara called. She has a case for us. She said something about a cow monster."

Ellie grins and states, "What are you waiting for? Let's go." They grab their backpacks and head to their car.