01 | Just Another Monday Morning

Just before we get into this chapter, I would like to thank you all for reading.

Secondly, this is a Nigerian book. I may have been writing Non-Nigerian books before but someone told me to embrace my culture and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Thirdly, this is going to be one rollercoaster ride so buckle your seatbelts.

Fourthly, don't forget to vote and leave your feedbacks.

Lastly, enjoy!

Demilade

I tied my shoelaces, wore my glasses, picked up my school bag and bolted out of my room and down the stairs.

When I reached the living room, I greeted my father good morning in Yoruba.

"Yes, how are you, my daughter?", he said and I replied, but I lingered a few seconds longer for him to know I wanted something. He looked at me in scrutiny. "You need something, what is it?", He asked and I gave him my most innocent look yet.

"Ah ahn. I can't just stay and spend some time with my own father again?", I said and sat next to him, clinging close.

"You only happen to be this close when you need something. What is it that you want?", He asked.

I smiled at him and straightened myself on the chair. "I need money", I said truthfully and waited for his reaction.

"You always need money. I'll give you", he said and my face lit up. "But what for?", He asked and my smile became exact opposite, but I didn't let him notice it.

"Class project", I answered shortly.

"Am I supposed to explain that to myself?", He asked and I sighed, getting myself ready to lie again.

"In my school, each class does something for the school and this term, we're contributing money for something big", I lied smoothly.

We were contributing alright, but I had already put in my own money since the beginning of the term. I just needed the money for an entirely different thing. But if I told him the truth, he wouldn't let me have the money.

He calculated in his head for a bit before putting his hand in his pocket and bringing out his wallet. He opened it then looked at me.

"How much do you need?", He asked.

"The teacher said that we can just bring how much we like. He didn't really give us a minimum", I said and he smiled.

I didn't tell him a price because I knew my father liked to show off his wealth and he would want me bringing the most amount of my classmates.

He searched through his wallet and then gave me a large sum. "Count it"

And I did. Immediately I counted up to ten thousand naira, I jumped and hugged him before calling him his many pet names in Yoruba. He just smiled since he liked to be praised.

"Hope it's enough. And if the school needs more, make sure to meet me", he said and I smiled, hugged him again then headed for the kitchen. "Okay, eat shap shap (eat quickly) so you people can meet me in the car"

I paused in my tracks and spun around. "Daddy, I won't be following your car today, so just go with Dami", I told him.

Damilola is my twin brother. He might be my twin, but we were polar opposites. He was such an annoying idiot while I was sweet. He was closer to Mummy while I was closer to Daddy.

Daddy gave me a suspecting look and asked, "Why aren't you following the car?"

"I just don't feel like", I replied.