06 | Just Another Tuesday

Demilade

School was nowhere near exciting today. But I understood. It was a Tuesday.

I sat in the auditorium, next to Rachael, who was telling me about her exciting life. I didn't tell her about mine because I didn't want to interrupt. She hates when people interrupt her.

"And, all prefects should stay behind after the dismissal of the assembly", the Principal said and I just groaned inwardly.

What offence did I commit?

When the bell rang, the prefects waited in the auditorium and the Principal talked to us on some of our duties and how some of them were lagging behind.

She also told us how to balance our school work with the prefectship and how not to get too overworked with one which would lead to the detriment of the other. She also told us about our UTME (Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination) and WASSCE (West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination) coming up next year.

It wasn't like I needed it. I was still going to study abroad anyway.

When I was walking late to first class, Physics, Christopher walked up to me. "Hey", he greeted and he smiled one of those intelligent, dimpled smiles.

I returned the smile. "How far?"

"Fine. Remember the last time we spoke, and you said that I could meet you if I wanted to talk? Is after school today a bad time?", He asked and I shook my head in concern.

"No, not at all. Is something wrong?"

"No. Just something I need to talk to you about", he said.

"Oh, okay then. See you later", I said, then we parted ways.

He was an art student while I was a science student but sometimes did literature because I liked it. I didn't write the exam at the end of the term though.

The first four periods didn't go very interesting because all the teachers were boring. Except Mr. Matthew.

During break, Rachael was practising for the debate with Daniel and it wasn't looking very good. But at least it was entertaining.

"What's the topic again?", She asked with her pen in hand. She told me this morning that she was bent on frustrating his life. So I'm pretty sure she knew what the topic was.

"Oh, my goodness, Rachael. This is the fourth time you're asking about the topic. Do I have to repeat myself?", He asked, already agitated.

I smiled as I picked a fried potato with my fork. "Well, I'm asking, so I think you should know I've forgotten again", she replied sassily. If you didn't understand Rachael, you would definitely despise her.

He rubbed his temple, trying to calm himself. "I'm not going to engage. Not today. The topic is Abortion Should Be Made Legal In Nigeria. And just in case you don't know, we are against the topic", he said and went back to browsing through his laptop he had permit to come to school with.

"Seriously? We're against? How are we supposed to find points? It's not like people aren't doing it anyway", she said and bit out of her apple.

"Well, for one, my mother wouldn't have had me if it was legal", Daniel said as he kept typing on his laptop.

We both shot him confused looks because he shouldn't have said something that heavy so casually. He looked at us then smiled. "What?", He asked and we both shook our heads as if to say nothing. He looked back at the laptop.

Rachael cleared her throat. "Gotten anything yet?", She asked, much calmer and nicer than she always was.

"Nope. Nothing", he said and I just couldn't help but wonder what kind of relationship he had with his mother that he could say something like that like it was nothing and even laugh about it.