12 | Art Isn't Always About Painting

Demilade

It was my birthday and my swimming pool was booming with people. It was like a small backyard strip club. Except nobody was stripping. My parents went to the village to see their parents so that they wouldn't spoil the fun of my birthday party. I love them dieeee.

Damilola couldn't stop eating—cake, drinks and everything in-between. This guy ate. Reggie got me a flash drive. He said I should play it at the end of the party so I'm guessing it should be something sweet.

David got me a tattoo artist. He said I needed a tattoo since I just turned eighteen. Uh, no thank you. But at some point in the party, he pulled me away and said he wanted to tell me something.

"I really like you, Demilade", he said. Huh?

"Abeg, see your mouth", I said and pulled his lips but he held my hand in his for much longer. Was he serious right now?

"I said I really like you!", he said it with more vigour this time and I had to cover his mouth with my hand to make sure Reggie didn't hear him.

"David. This is not time for jokes. What is it na?", I said, almost getting annoyed that he has to pull this prank and make my heart beat with excitement like this.

"No, you don't get it. I've liked you as a child and I still like you", he said and I just stayed there, dumbfounded.

"Hey, babe", Reggie said from nowhere. Oh, my God. "What's up?", he said and he kissed me! Jesus Christ!

"Babe? He just... Is this why?", David asked. "It's never the right time for both of us, is it?", he said and dropped a book in my hand. "Happy birthday, sweet cheeks", he said and left.

Reggie looked at me, asking me what was going on with his eyes. I couldn't explain to him obviously. He would match out ancd go and kill David.

What type of sin did I commit? Why do I have to find myself in this type of dilemma?

But in any way, I ran after David but Reggie didn't follow me. It was like he was expecting me to not go and to just stay with him. I had to make it up with my friend first.

Rachael met me on the way. "Can you tell Dami that he should stop eating like a buffalo? He's just using his hand everywhere", she complained. I looked over her shoulder and saw Dami eating a plate of small chops.

"It's also his birthday. Let him enjoy", I said and went after David. I just couldn't find him and decided to go into Dami's room.

Just as I was about entering, I saw Johnson in the balcony. He was just looking outside. I walked up to him. "John John", I said his nickname and he turned to me jumpily. "Whoa, are you okay? Do you think I'll poison you?", I asked and he relaxed.

"It's been one hell of a week", he said and I nodded my head in agreement. "I got poisoned. A whole me", he said and I tilted my head at him.

"But we're fine now. Nothing would affect us. We've seen life", I said and he laughed.

"You're right", he said. "Hey, what would your parents do when they see you don't get A in a subject?", he asked and i thought for a moment.

"They'll probably not care. They'll just tell me to do better", I answered.

"It's not fair", he said and looked outside again.

"What's not fair?", I asked.

"Life", he replied. "You get to have everything. Good grades, talent, and even supportive parents. I, on the other hand, just needs the last one but life couldn't throw that one my way, could it?", he asked and I actually started to get scared of him. What the heck was he talking about?