五 | grim reminders

↳ TRIGGER WARNING !
anxiety, paranoia

She gazed up at the cloudy blue sky as she made her way to the Butterfly Estate to check up on the girls and Tanjiro there. Kenji has not reported her to go to any missions which was odd since every other day she usually goes on one. So when the boredom and loneliness finally hit her at her new home she decided to take a stroll. Upon reaching closer to the the estate she noticed that there were many other slayers in the area, a lot in fact. That was another odd thing, there was never this many slayers in the area, perhaps something was wrong she thought.

As she walked down the corridor of the Butterfly Estate she heard many whispers and murmuring from the fellow slayers. There was a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach, she felt upset, paranoid. But why?

She neither did anything wrong nor was she hiding something so why did she feel that way. She felt as if each mumble was about her, but why?

"It's her" a guy whispered as she walked passed him.

She stopped in her tracks to turn to look at the male. The whispers began getting even louder and more chaotic. A confused an annoyed look plastered her face. What was even going on? The upset feeling in her stomach grew stronger as slayers swarmed around her. Although she was in the middle of them all she couldn't see not one of their eyes. All she saw were their mouths moving as the murmurs filled the corridor. 

Her heart raced and she felt her chest tightening as she turned her head to look around her to see if there was an escape from this quite chaos. Her eyes seemed to brigten when she noticed Shinobu's office door. She squeezed and pushed her way through the swarm to the door. All heads followed her as she quickly opened the door then slamming it shut. 

She leaned back against the door as she tried evening out her breathing, she was panicking. She scanned the office and noticed it was empty, everything seemed hazy and blurring so she squeezed her eyes shut as she tried calmly down.

"(Y/n)-san, what's wrong?" a familiar voice chimed.

She opened her eyes widely as she saw Shinobu standing right infront of her. The girl stared at her in disbelief, it all felt unreal.

"I..I don't know" she exhaled as she looked down.

"You really don't know what's going on?" Shinobu questioned however it wasn't in her usual sweet tone, it was a bitter one. The girl looked back up at her friend with furrowed brows and confused eyes.

"Don't pretend like you don't know what you're doing (Y/n), you're breaking the corps' rules" Shinobu spat in a harsh tone as there were loud bangs and knocks on the door.

There it was, how could she even forget. That was why she felt that unsettling feeling in her stomach, it was all guilt and paranoia. She was keeping contact with the devil, Upper Moon One even though she knew it was against the rules. She looked at Shinobu with a disappointed face and a frown.

"Listen, I can explai-"

"Oh there is no explaination needed" the butterfly girl cut her off as she drew her blade.

She felt her heart drop and a lump in her throat began suffocating her. Her hands trembled, her legs could not move, her mouth was sewn shut. Was this it?

"I really didn't expect this of you (L/n)-san" Shinobu whispered as her eyes seemed to disappear.

"Shinobu please, I'm sorry! Just liste-"

"Farewell" Shinobu said in a hushed tone as her sword was striking towards the other girl's neck.

"Shinobu no!" she exclaimed as she opened her eyes.