十 | distance

After having come to terms with herself concerning her feelings towards the demon, she became somewhat distant, quiet. This didn't go unnoticed by Kokushibo however he didn't bother to question her as he brushed it off thinking she was just tired. He continued training her as usual but she would not complain or whine, instead she seemed to be in deeper focus.

He noted that she became more agile and her attacks were more powerful. She was able to get back on her feet faster than she used to and she attacked him in ways which were more strategic and efficient rather than just attacking due to emotion. He noticed every change there was, how her body seemed moved like water when she dodged his attacks and even how her eyes became slightly dull over time. 

In her perspective, if she just focused more on training rather than on the demon who was training her, she would become a Hashira faster and possibly be able to get rid of him. Of course it pained her to think of ever killing the Upper Moon, she loved him. There was a constant battle in her mind during training. One side of her just wanted to completely ignore him and get rid of him because of all the guilt she felt while the other side just wanted her to be all over him.

God knew how frustrated she was and she had to keep all of it to herself since what she was doing was beyond forgiveness. 

Being consumed by her thoughts and immense guilt caused her to feel sick in a way. It wasn't the demon alone that she was distant with but her other friends too. Both Shinobu and Mitsuri noticed her change in attitude and aura but when questioned about it she would just say she was stressed or exhausted. She did the same with Tanjiro but he knew that she was lying yet he would leave her alone since he thought that it wasn't his place to ask her about her personal life.

Today she sat in the courtyard of Butterfly Estate staring into the sky. It has been nearly two months since there was a shift in her social behaviour and now she was even considering leaving the demon slayer corps to rid her off her guilty conscience. Her emotions enervated her and she wanted an escape but the decision to leave was beyond difficult. She was so preoccupied by her thoughts that it took a loud scream to bring her attention back to earth.

It sounded like more than one person that was yelling and it sounded like girls which could have only meant one thing, the butterfly girls had to be in some sort of danger. Speeding down the corridors of the mansion, she looked into every room and every open space as she tried to find where their screams were coming from. She continued running until she arrived at the entrance of the estate only to see the Sound Hashira covered with butterfly girls and Tanjiro standing in the opposite direction with the same look on his face as her.

"What in the world..?"

"He's kidnapping them! Please rescue them!" Kiyo cried out.

Still thinking about how to approach the situation she stood in place as she continued observing the scene before her. She was familiar with who the Sound Hashira was but what was he doing here with these poor girls. And kidnapping them? What has this world even come to?

"Why you little idiot!" the Hashira scoffed as he glared at the smaller girl.

Just then Tanjiro took off which made her refocus her attention to what he was about to do, he was going to headbutt the Hashira. So with him making an attack, so did she. She decided to join in and tackle the Hashira in an attempt to set the girls free however within the blink of an eye he was out of sight leaving her, Tanjiro, the two younger girls and Kanao to fall to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing!? Put them down!" she yelled at the Hashira who was now on top of the gate looking down on them.

"You're a fool" he scoffed in return which caused her to get even more irritated, "I'm Lord Tengen Uzui, former shinobi. A flashy man renown around these parts" he continued his self introduction, "Do you really think I'd fall victim to one of your pissant headbutts?" he retorted while looking down at Tanjiro.