3

Ona's POV

The final whistle.

I'm a World Cup champion.

"We did it!" Aitana jumped into my arms after we all got out of the full dogpile.

We won the World Cup. I can't believe that I just won the World Cup. I glanced over at Lucy Bronze and frowned. She's been fighting for this dream much longer than I have. I felt bad for her. She deserved to win this tournament more than any other player.

I walked over and went to place an arm around her body but she gently pushed it away and began trying to walk away.

"Lucy stop."

"Batlle you just won. Go celebrate."

"I did and I will, but I wanted to come see you. You're my role model Luce." I frowned as she gave me a hug and walked over to one of her teammates.

Now where is my family?

"I wasn't aware training staff happened to wear a number two on their shirts." Busted. I turned around to smile at the blonde Australian girl.

"I'm starting to think you're stalking me."

"Maybe I am, but I wasn't aware of who I was stalking. Who knew I was sitting down with a soon to be World Champion this morning." The Australian girl sat in an England jersey. A number two England jersey to be specific.

Looks like the two of us have similar taste.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm not sure of that myself."

"I see well its nice to officially meet you Ona Batlle." She gave a downward smile.

"Ona!" I waved to my brother before turning back to the girl.

"Go see your family Batlle." She gave me one last smile and I walked away even though I really didn't want to. I just wanted the chance.

"You did it baby!" My mom hugged me and kissed my check excited.

"I did. I won the World Cup mom." I smiled hugging my family.

"Ona...is that her?" Aitana made a small nod towards the familiar Australian girl in the stands.

"I talked to her already. She knows now and it's time I move on I guess." I shrugged and Aitana nodded.

"I'm really sorry O. But hey if the worst thing that happens today is not getting a chance with a pretty girl its not the worst thing. You won the World Cup. We won the World Cup. You and I have been dreaming about this for forever." I nodded as I pulled her in for a tight hug. I glanced back towards the England bench and yet again.

I hugged a few of my teammates as I made my way over to England's bench. Lucy was about to be my teammate after all and maybe there was something else about her that just made me want to make sure she's okay.

As I approached her she looked a mix of annoyed yet thankful for my efforts. I knew she just wanted to be alone but after losing the one thing every player wants I want to support her. I want her to know how amazing she is.

"Didn't I tell you to go celebrate Batlle?"

"I did."

"You won it kid. Don't worry about me."

"Yet all I can think about is you."

"What are you saying?"

"I just want to be here for you." I smiled as I kneeled down in front of her. The hunched over English defender accepting the hug I was trying give her.

"You know I look up to you. If anything you really inspire me to be the player I am."

"You're not only making me feel like a loser but super old too now."

"Maybe you are old." I smiled as I took a seat next to her.

"I am not old!" Lucy smiled and I felt lighter.

"I'm messing with you Abeula."

"Okay that's it!" Lucy used the gatorade bottle in her hand to spray me with water.

"I'm excited for our season at Barcelona. Maybe you'll teach me a thing or two to make me even better." I rested my head on my hand as I looked at her.

"I'll try my best, but you're already damn good Ona. You have every bit of potential to be better than me." She reached out for my hand and shook it before keeping her hold on it.

Her thumb gently rubbing over the back of my hand as she kept her eyes locked on the intertwined fingers.

"I'm sorry...I know this is the one thing you always wanted. Your team honestly deserved this win more than ours did. Because your team was amazing our team was ran by an asshole narcissist misogynists." I chuckled at my minor rant.

"You deserved the win. He didn't but you did." Lucy stood up giving me one last hug before walking away again to her teammates.

Maybe I have a chance to connect with someone else...