Chapter 8

I spent the next week at home resting and completing school work since I was suspended for starting the fight. Mom stayed home the whole week fussing over me and fighting with dad whether that was over the phone or in the living room. I saw Rodrik a few times during the week, since mom told him to stay with friends since she didn't want Rodrik to hear the arguments since I haven't told him yet. I never got the chance to talk with Kaitlyn since I didn't feel like leaving my house.

It is now the following week after the fight and mom is dropping me off. "Have a good day Ryker" mom says, "Call me if anything happens. I love you." "Will do. Love you too" I say climbing out of the car. Surprisingly the day passes by without any incidents, just people glaring and whispering behind my back. Football practice however remains the same unsurprisingly, not like I was expecting anything different.

After practice, several guys from the team corner me. "We're not done tranny" one of the boys says, "Thanks to you two of our best players got suspended for two weeks and are going to miss a few big games." "Well then they shouldn't have bullied me" I say. "Well then you should walk around pretending to be a guy" another boy says shoving my shoulder. "Leave my little brother alone" Rodrik says standing there with Bianca. "Whatever" a different boy says, "You got lucky this time, better watch your back, freak."

The guys walk past me shoving me with their shoulders. "Come on, let's go" Rodrik says, "Foods on me." I follow Rodrik to his car and climb in the back before he drives to a restaurant down the street. Me, Rodrik, and Bianca find a table and sit down. We pick up the menus and look through, sitting in silence. After a minute I break the silence, "So you knew." "No" Rodrik says, "Bianca did though." "Actually I was pretty sure, but I didn't want to just assume and pressure you into admitting it if you weren't ready" Bianca says, "I was just waiting for you to confirm my hunch."

"I just thought you were a major tomboy" Rodrik says. A waitress walks over and we give her our order. "So when did you figure it out" I ask. "Several days ago when I was swinging by the house to grab some clothes" Rodrik says, "Between mom essentially banning me from the house and telling me to stay at friends houses and the arguments dad and mom had that I overheard snippets of when I was home." "And you don't care that I'm..." I say. "I could care less, I'm honestly glad I got a little brother" Rodrik says, "And besides, I'll always be there for you and have your back, it's part of the big brother job description."

"And you" I ask looking at Bianca. "I don't have a problem with it" Bianca says, "I'm happy you're living your truth." "Thank you" I say. "But what's your name" Rodrik asks, "Cuz I'm assuming you're not going by Rika anymore." "It's Ryker" I say. "Ryker...I like that" Bianca says. "Good choice" Rodrik says. The waitress arrives with their food. Rodrik holds up his cup, "To Ryker, the greatest little brother ever." I smile as we clink our glasses together and begin to eat. "If those boys mess with you again, you let me know you hear" Rodrik says. "Promise" I say.

After we finish our meal, Rodrik pays and then takes Bianca home. He then drives us home and I see several cars parked in the driveway and street. I look at Rodrik and he shrugs. We enter the house to see mom and dad fighting and dads side of the family sitting off to the side. "Oh great" I mutter before everyone is looking at us. "What's going on" Rodrik asks. "Trying to make your mother see that Rika needs help" dad says. "It's Ryker" mom says, "And he doesn't need any help." "It's Rika and she is a girl, my granddaughter" grandpa says, "Rika please let us help you sweetheart." You know this is wrong" grandma says, "We just want what's best for you."

"It's Ryker and I'm your grandson" I say, "Also, there's nothing wrong with me." "Yes there is, let us help" grandma says. "The ones that need help are you guys" Rodrik says. "Rodrik you can't seriously be ok with this" dad says, "Can't you realize your sister needs help." "My brother doesn't need any help" Rodrik says. "Your daughter is seriously messed up in the head Bill" my aunt says. "What did you just say" Rodrik says. "Excuse me" mom says, "You take that back."

"I'm just stating facts" my aunt says, "You all need help, especially Rika." "It's become apparent that we will never see eye to eye on this and that you will never accept your son" mom says walking into the kitchen and returning an envelope, "I don't want to do this, but you leave me no choice." Mom gives dad the envelope. Dad opens it, "You're divorcing me?" "Yes" mom says, "The only way Ryker is going to grow up in a loving and accepting environment is if you're not in it." I'm destroying my parents' marriage, I'm the reason they are getting a divorce.

"I can't believe you're choosing our sick daughter" dad says. "No, I'm choosing my son" mom says, "Now get out of my house." Dad just scoffs, "Whatever." Dad, my grandparents, and aunt leave. "You ok" mom asks. "Um yeah..." I say. "Ryker" mom says, "This isn't your fault and I don't blame you." "Ok..." I say. "I'm serious Ryker, don't put any of this on yourself" mom says, "How about I order a pizza for dinner and binge watch those dinosaur movies you like so much." "Sounds like a plan" I say smiling, "Are we watching both the Jurassic Park trilogy and Jurassic World trilogy?" "I still don't understand why you like those movies so much" Rodrik says. "Yes" mom says. "Awesome" I say smiling and running to the living room to load the first Jurassic Park.

Thanks for reading.  What did you think?  What do you think will happen next?  What do you want to happen next?  As always votes and comments are appreciated.