Chapter 9

Jameson

Jameson

The roof had always been a reprieve for me. Hardly anyone ventured up there, so whenever I couldn't sleep or whenever I just needed to get away, that's where I always went.  The last thing I expected was to see Evelyn sitting on the edge holding a Nightshadow flower. They aren't poisonous to humans, but to most supernatural creatures, they are deadly. There she was sniffing it happily like it was her favorite flower in the world. 

It wasn't until she coughed up the blue and black substance that I realized something was really wrong. She smelled of blood, but I couldn't see any visible... There was only one person I could think of that would know how to help her and she seemed to realize that too.

As we mistwalked into Hanabusa's office, even he seemed taken aback. 

"She had a nightshadow flower and as impossible as it should be, she's reacting to it." I rushed setting her down on the chaise lounge in the office. She was sickly pale and shivering at this point. It just didn't make sense. Even now my senses told me she was simply human. 

"Interesting." Hanabusa mumbled as he held his hand over her head, a soft glow emanating from his palm. Many seers were dually talented with healing, and always seemed to know where the problem was. Right then she coughed up more of the strange blue and black liquid. Now the whole room smelled of a metalic blood scent. Hanabusa stared on mystified by the site.

"Evelyn?" A horrified voice came from the door as Mary Nerezza froze, eyes locked on the girl. I almost forgot that she worked part time in the office the help afford her studies as a lower ranked student. "What happened?" She shouted rushing forward dropping her bag and placing a hand on Evelyn's head kneeling on the floor beside her. I hadn't realized they were friends. 

"We need to hurry; do you have an antidote we can give her?" I asked ignoring the frantic girl. This was more important. Evelyn looked as if she might actually die. 

"There's not enough time. I've never seen the poison work this quickly." He replied and I focused on her thrumming heartbeat. 

Not enough time?

"Poison?!" Mary exclaimed.

"Nightshade." Hanabusa replied absently. "Did she inhale the flower?" He asked meeting my gaze sharply. I gave a short quick nod to which he visibly frowned. 

"Then there is only one way to save her." He said darkly. 

"What? What can we do? We have to save her!" Mary rushed.

"She needs blood." He said looking right at me. My eyebrows shot up bewildered before understanding sunk in.

"No." I said.

"I'll do it!" Mary rushed breathlessly reaching to bite into her wrist, but Hanabusa pulled her arm away shaking his head.

"The only blood strong enough to heal this kind of poison is yours." He said looking directly at me.