Chapter 3

Above is Hanabusa

"Evelyn! Finally. Come and sit, thank you Ella." Aunt Meredith said dismissively. I glanced at Ella with a frown but she shot a wink my way for reassurance before disappearing behind the large framed door; they hardly ever requested to talk to me alone.

The room was light with cream walls and white accents. The furniture, also, a pristine white. An ancient colorful rug screamed of wealth, and large windows surrounded the room on three sides allowing in an abundance of light. I've been in here a few times during my stay, but it's usually reserved for guests.

In one of the large cushioned chairs in the corner sat a rather tall and stiff man. Perfect features and hazel eyes. He was without a doubt a vampire. I couldn't help stiffening. I have only been around Sarah since the accident, so I immediately looked to my aunt and uncle for an explanation.

"Evelyn, this is Hanabusa Grey. Headmaster of New Haven Academy. He wished to speak solely with you." My fists clenched unintentionally at that name. My father had worked in close contact with him as they are trying... were trying to integrate young vampires and humans in hope to bridge the awful gap created by their elders. Before their death my parents had been trying to get me enrolled as an ambassador of sorts. Headmaster Grey had not been too keen on the idea and had me undergo extensive tests; for what reason, I am still uncertain.

"Was he informed of my disinterest?" I replied a little too harshly, but I seem to be doing that a lot lately.

"Now Evelyn, don't be so rude. Mr. Grey is our guest." Aunt Meredith hinted fidgeting nervously while Uncle Fredrick seemed quite amused. I sighed and turned towards the headmaster expectantly and was surprised at the slight upturn of his lips.

"Why Miss Woollacott, you are much more... headstrong than you were in our last meeting." He said with his familiar deep and fluent tone, eyes hidden by a glare in his thin glasses. Vampires don't usually need glasses unless they are seers.

Don't get too excited, they are a lot more common than you'd think, usually among Asian descent; his only leverage in being his brother who is a powerful seer for the Raven family. I may put off an air of indifference, which is true, but I always keep my ears trained and listening. 

"Why Mr. Grey, it seems as though you mistook me as weak before." I said narrowing my eyes slightly. He chuckled and reached up removing his glasses and placing them in his inner jacket pocket; the smallest revelation of trust among seers.

"I regret to say that I had." His black eyes met mine. "It was one of my reasons for feeling so skeptical about your prosperity at New Haven Academy; your test results reassured me in surprising ways." He said in his smooth Asian accent. He eyed me for a moment. "Miss Woollacott, before his death, your father and I became rather close so to speak. It was his wish that you be permitted to attend. I do not necessarily agree with his ideals, but seeing as it is his last wish, I plan to honor it." He said firmly.