Promposal I

"Hey, you already have a date this prom?"

I turned to Kaitlyn and shrugged, then continued rummaging through my locker. Ugh. I can't find my Biology book.

I felt her stare at me. "What do you mean 'you don't know'? Geez, Nikki! The prom's in two days!"

"NIKKKKIIIIIII!!!"

A girl lunged herself to me and when she looked up from my chest, her eyes are watering.

"W-What's the matter, Bailey?"

She straightened up and wiped her tear-stained cheeks. "JEREMY ASKED ME TO PROOOOOMMMMM!!!" she squealed, tears flowing from her eyes again.

Kaitlyn joined in and squealed and squeezed Bailey in a hug, both of them looking like fools.

Yeah, fools-in-love.

I never really bothered, really. What just matters most to me is to graduate highschool in one piece and to not get in any complicated mess--specifically pertaining to the most complicated thing on earth--LOVE.

I've never been in love, but I can't hide the fact that I'm currently attracted to someone. Even though I like him, I do not show what I feel. I keep 'em bottled up inside me, because I know that setting it free will complicate things.

Especially because I'm crushing on the school's basketball team captain, Adam Evans.

I know, it's really not that big of a deal to any girl. But to me, it's a very big deal.

The Evans is the only brother company of my family, The Thompsons. Their family's company produces the best coffee in the country, and they are also incredibly good in pastries, that's why they started a coffee house that went rad and popular in New York, Massachusetts, and Los Angeles.

Our company is popularly known because of the impeccable and excellent mixture of sweetness and spice of our wines and alcohol, from scotch, brandy, to mojito and champagne. Our liquor stores are worldwide, but the heart of everything started in Spain.

Our families came across each other at the 34th World Business Convention at Paris, France, and after that, certain arrangements are made. That's when our families are merged together by our fathers.

We saw each other twice a week during family lunches, dinners, and events, which means I get to see more of Adam, too. I started noticing Adam when I learned that he transferred to my school last year, during my junior year of highschool.

But of course, others noticed him, too, so I kept myself in the dark, even if I know in my heart that I met him first rather than anyone else.

We're not friends, but I guess that we have is acquaintanceship, if that even exists.

Whenever we see each other at school, we politely greet and smile at each other, and that's it. When we notice each other's presence during family dinners, we also do the same but much more touchy. We don't want our families to think that their children don't get along that well.

The lunch bell brought me back to reality, and I immediately shot up from my seat to run and wait for Adam.

Everyday when the lunch bell goes off, it indicates the lunch break of everyone--which means that the basketball team takes a break from their four-hour-straight practice that starts at 10 in the morning.

I quickly made my way to my locker and stood there facing towards it, waiting for the team to pass by me. My locker is located in a hallway that leads to the cafeteria, lucky for me.

I'm not going to approach him or make a scene to let him notice me, it's just that I wanna hear him laugh with his teammates, because hearing him laugh is rare. He's always serious whenever he speaks up during our dinners, and I couldn't blame him. Our parents always talk about business and proposals, even over dinner.

My ears perked up and I heard loud footsteps from the other end of the hallway, and I quickly opened my locker and arranged it. There's nothing to arrange, but whatever. As long as I can do something, the better.

Just then, someone tapped on my shoulder a few times. I turned around and was shocked to find his face, a few inches away from mine.

Then, I can't breathe.

×××

Whoo! Chapter 1 finished! Yey! So happeerrr! :D

Anyways, I will enter this short story to Wattys so please, pretty pleasseeee! Hit that little star and comment! Also, you can tweet about it on Twitter, the hashtag's #PromposalWattys.

So I hope you guys would support this! Thanks and have a great day! :)

Yours truly,

Nicholle